Inglish History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Inglish comes from the Old English word "Englisc," originally used to describe the Angles as distinct from the Saxons. It also appeared in the Latinized form Anglicus. In the Scottish- England borderlands, it is thought that the name was used to refer to an Englishman or an English speaker, as opposed to a Gaelic speaker.
Early Origins of the Inglish family
The surname Inglish was first found in Berwickshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Important Dates for the Inglish family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Inglish research. Another 182 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1153, 1296, 1395, 1402, 1452, 1478, 1564, 1630, 1686, 1687, 1689, 1734, and 1816 are included under the topic Early Inglish History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Inglish Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Inglis, Inglish, Inglys, English, Englys and others.
Early Notables of the Inglish family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst bearers of this family name during their early history was Archibald Inglis (b. circa 1630), an ordained minister, who was Rector of Glasow University from 1686-1689; Sir James Inglis of Cramond, who was created...
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Inglish Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Inglish family to Ireland
Some of the Inglish family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 74 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Inglish migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Inglish Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Inglish, who settled in Barbados in 1635
- Mary Inglish, aged 17, who arrived in Barbados in 1635 
- William Inglish, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts in 1652 
- Katherine Inglish, who landed in Maryland in 1677 
- Richard Inglish, who landed in Maryland in 1677 
Inglish Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Inglish, who landed in Virginia in 1702 
- John Inglish, who arrived in Virginia in 1704 
- Thomas Inglish, who arrived in Virginia in 1714 
- Thomas Inglish, who settled in New York in 1775
Contemporary Notables of the name Inglish (post 1700)
- Doug Inglish, American celebrity and portrait photographer
- Chuck Inglish (b. 1984), stage name of Evan Ingersoll, an American rapper, one half of the Hip-hop duo The Cool Kids
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)