The surname Hiddleston was derived from a pre-existing place named Huddleston in the West Riding of Yorkshire
. The place name is in turn derived from the Old English personal name
Hudel and are said to be originally of Saxon descent.
Early Origins of the Hiddleston family
The surname Hiddleston was first found in Cumberland
, where they originally held Millom Castle at Millom, now in Cumbria
. Godard be Boyvill was granted a manor on the site and held the Manor of Millom c. 1134. His granddaughter married into the Hudleston family and ownership was passed in c. 1240. John Hudleston was given a licence to crenellate in 1335. Over the centuries the castle has fallen into ruin and is now used as a farmhouse. The parish of Sawston in Cambridgeshire
was home to a branch of this illustrious family in early times. "The ancient manor-house here of the Huddleston family was visited by Queen Mary, who spent some time in it." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Hiddleston family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Hiddleston research.Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1774, 1296, 1496, 1517, 1557, 1553, 1554, 1554, 1583, 1655, 1608 and 1698 are included under the topic Early Hiddleston History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Hiddleston Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Huddleston, Hoddleston, Hodleston, Hiddleston, Hiddlestone and many more.
Early Notables of the Hiddleston family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir William Huddleston who inherited the manor of Sawston in Cambridge in 1496 through his marriage to Isabel, fifth daughter of John, Marquess of Montecute; Sir John Huddleston (1517-1557) of Sawston, Cambridgeshire
, an English politician, Member of the Parliament for Cambridgeshire
in October 1553, April 1554 and November 1554; Richard... Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Hiddleston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Hiddleston family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Hiddleston Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George B. Hiddleston, who arrived in America, in 1892
Hiddleston Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- John Hiddleston, aged 55, who arrived in America, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Hiddleston (post 1700)
- Emma Elizabeth Hiddleston (b. 1986), English film, television, and stage actress
- Thomas William "Tom" Hiddleston (b. 1981), English Laurence Olivier Award winning, two-time MTV Movie Award winning actor, best known for playing the character of Loki in Thor (2011), The Avengers (2012), and Thor: The Dark World (2013)
- John Sydney Hiddleston (1890-1940), New Zealand cricketer who played for the New Zealand National Team (1909-1910) and (1928-1929)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.