Berney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The ancestors of bearers of the Berney family name are thought to have come from the ancient Scottish kingdom of Dalriada. The name is derived from the place name Brennath, in Moray The village of Birnie was originally called Brenuth, from "brae-nut," which means "hazel trees." Natives of Birnie, using a local dialect, also called the village "Burn-nigh," which means near the burn river. This local name, particularly in medieval times, is prefixed by 'de', which means '"from."
Early Origins of the Berney family
The surname Berney was first found in Elginshire a former county in northeastern Scotland, in the present day Scottish Council Area of Moray, Scotland, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
Important Dates for the Berney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Berney research. Another 81 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1261 and 1500 are included under the topic Early Berney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berney Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Birnie, Birney, Birny, Birnye, Byrnye, Byrny, Berney, Birne, Byrne, McBirny, McBirnie, McBurny, McBurnie and many more.
Early Notables of the Berney family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Berney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Berney family to Ireland
Some of the Berney family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Berney migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Typical Berney Emigration from the United Kingdom to North America
Berney Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ellen Berney, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816 
- Thomas Berney, who landed in New York, NY in 1816 
Contemporary Notables of the name Berney (post 1700)
- Arthur Berney (b. 1930), American Professor Emeritus at the Boston College Law School
- Sir Hanson Berney (d. 1778), 6th Baronet of Parkehall, English peer, Sheriff of Norwich in 1762
- Sir Thomas Reedham Berney (1893-1975), 10th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Thomas Berney (d. 1742), 5th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Julian Reedham Stuart Berney (b. 1952), 11th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir John Berney (1757-1825), 7th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Henry Hanson Berney (1843-1907), 9th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- Sir Hanson Berney (1780-1870), 8th Baronet of Parkehell, English peer
- John Berney Ladbrooke (1803-1879), English landscape painter, third son of Robert Ladbrooke
You May Also Like
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)