100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Ballard is an ancient Anglo-Saxon name. It was a name given to a person who was a person known for their lack of hair. As a point of interest, the name is derived from the Old English word ball-ard, which means a bald headed man.
One relatively recent invention that did much to standardize English spelling was the printing press. However, before its invention even the most literate people recorded their names according to sound rather than spelling. The spelling variations under which the name Ballard has appeared include Ballard, Bellard, Bellhird, Belhyrd, Bellerd, Bellird, Belard, Balard, Ballird and many more.
First found in Yorkshire, where they held a family seat from ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ballard research. Another 401 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1500, 1657, 1630, 1689, 1680, 1682, 1654 and 1710 are included under the topic Early Ballard History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 97 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ballard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
At this time, the shores of the New World beckoned many English families that felt that the social climate in England was oppressive and lacked opportunity for change. Thousands left England at great expense in ships that were overcrowded and full of disease. A great portion of these settlers never survived the journey and even a greater number arrived sick, starving, and without a penny. The survivors, however, were often greeted with greater opportunity than they could have experienced back home. These English settlers made significant contributions to those colonies that would eventually become the United States and Canada. An examination of early immigration records and passenger ship lists revealed that people bearing the name Ballard arrived in North America very early:
Ballard Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Ballard, who landed in New England in 1633
- Elizabeth Ballard, aged 26, arrived in New England in 1635
- Hester Ballard, aged 2, landed in America in 1635
- Jo Ballard, aged 1, arrived in America in 1635
- Christopher Ballard, who landed in Maryland in 1649
Ballard Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edwd Ballard, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Jean Bte Charles Ballard, aged 17, arrived in Louisiana in 1719
- Jean Bin Charles Ballard, aged 17, landed in Louisiana in 1719
- Jean Ole Charles Ballard, aged 17, landed in Louisiana in 1719
- Henry Ballard, who arrived in Virginia in 1719
Ballard Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Ballard, who came to Philadelphia in 1808
- Benjamin Ballard, who settled in New York, NY in 1828
- Anthony Ballard, who arrived in Michigan in 1832
- R Ballard, aged 28, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1838
- E Ballard, aged 22, landed in Key West, Fla in 1838
Ballard Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Elia Ballard, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
Ballard Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Lt. Ballard, who arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1801
- Norman Ballard, who landed in Canada in 1829
Ballard Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Ballard, aged 22, a farm servant, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Prince Regent"
- William Ballard, aged 22, arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Prince Regent" in 1851
- Fanny Elizabeth Ballard, aged 18, arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Steadfast"
Ballard Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- John Ballard, aged 24, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Indus" in 1843
- Isabella Ballard, aged 21, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Indus" in 1843
- Luke Ballard, aged 25, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- Elizabeth Ballard, aged 24, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- Matthew Ballard, aged 3, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- James T. Ballard, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Texas, 1928
- Jasper N. Ballard, American politician, Member of Missouri State Senate 16th District, 1895-98
- Jeremiah Ballard (d. 1823), American politician, Mayor of Elizabethtown, New Jersey, 1822-23
- John Ballard, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Onondaga County, 1804-05; Member of New York State Senate Western District, 1806-10
- John A. Ballard, American Republican politician, Mayor of Akron, Ohio, 1966-79
- John Reginald Ballard (1893-1949), American Democrat politician, Investigator; Member of West Virginia Democratic State Executive Committee, 1945-49
- John S. Ballard, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Ohio, 1972
- John S. Ballard, American Libertarian politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from California 42nd District, 2000
- John T. Ballard, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Kentucky, 1888, 1900
- Joshua Ballard, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Cortland County, 1815-16
- The Ballard History from 1420 to 1903 by Ballard Family Association.
- They Came to Texas: The Family History and Genealogy of Cecil Raymond Ballard and Maurice (Bradford) Ballard, 1734-1975 by C. R. Ballard.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Ballard Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ballard Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 March 2016 at 22:36.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!