100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Yeo family come from? What is the English Yeo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yeo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yeo family history?The Yeo surname comes from the Old English word "ea," or "yo," in Somerset and Devon dialects, which meant "river" or "stream." It was likely originally a topographic name for someone who lived near a stream.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yeo, Yeoh, Yea, Yeoman, Attyea and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, at Hempton Sachville.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yeo research. Another 259 words(18 lines of text) covering the year 1120 is included under the topic Early Yeo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yeo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alan Yeo, who settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- John Yeo, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Leonard Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Wm Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Mrs. Clare Yeo, who landed in Virginia in 1652
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1743
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Yeo, aged 34, arrived in New York in 1812
- Joseph H Yeo, who landed in New York in 1843
Yeo Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Daddy Yeo settled at King's Cove, Newfoundland, in 1804
Yeo Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Isaac Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- John Stevens Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Mary Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Thomas Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Harriett Amelia Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
Yeo Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Laura Yeo arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- Douglas Yeo, American classical trombonist at the Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Simon John Yeo (b. 1973), former English footballer
- Brian George Yeo (b. 1944), former English football striker
- James Lucas Yeo (1782-1818), British Navel commander, served in the War of 1812
- Lindsay Yeo, Australian Company Director
- Harriet Yeo, National Executive Committee for the British Labour Party
- Lindsay Yeo, New Zealand broadcaster
- Timothy Stephen Kenneth Yeo (b. 1945), British politician, Shadow Secretary of State for Environment and Transport (2004-2005)
- John Yeo (1837-1924), Canadian farmer, ship builder and politician, Member of Parliament from East Prince (1896–1898)
- Jonathan Yeo (b. 1970), British portrait artist who has painted Nicole Kidman, Dennis Hopper, Prince Philip, Erin O'Connor, Tony Blair, David Cameron and many more
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Yeo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yeo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 February 2014 at 09:27.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!