on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Yeo family come from? What is the English Yeo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yeo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yeo family history?The Yeo surname comes from the Old English word "ea," or "yo," in Somerset and Devon dialects, which meant "river" or "stream." It was likely originally a topographic name for someone who lived near a stream.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yeo, Yeoh, Yea, Yeoman, Attyea and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, at Hempton Sachville.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yeo research. Another 259 words (18 lines of text) covering the year 1120 is included under the topic Early Yeo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yeo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Alan Yeo, who settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- John Yeo, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- Leonard Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Wm Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
- Mrs. Clare Yeo, who landed in Virginia in 1652
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- George Yeo, who arrived in Virginia in 1743
Yeo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Richard Yeo, aged 34, arrived in New York in 1812
- Joseph H Yeo, who landed in New York in 1843
Yeo Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Daddy Yeo settled at King's Cove, Newfoundland, in 1804
Yeo Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Isaac Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- John Stevens Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Mary Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Thomas Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
- Harriett Amelia Yeo arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Theresa" in 1847
Yeo Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Laura Yeo arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- William T. Yeo (1869-1959), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Iosco District, 1909-12
- Barbara C. Yeo, American politician, Mayor of Manhattan, Kansas, 1969-70
- Douglas Yeo, American classical trombonist at the Boston Symphony Orchestra
- Brian George Yeo (b. 1944), former English football striker
- Simon John Yeo (b. 1973), former English footballer
- Dylan Yeo (b. 1986), Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman from Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
- Alfred William Yeo (1890-1976), Australian politician, Member for Castlereagh (1932-1941)
- Michael "Mike" Yeo (b. 1973), Canadian current head coach of the NHL ice hockey Minnesota Wild
- Jonathan Yeo (b. 1970), British portrait artist who has painted Nicole Kidman, Dennis Hopper, Prince Philip, Erin O'Connor, Tony Blair, David Cameron and many more
- John Yeo (1837-1924), Canadian farmer, ship builder and politician, Member of Parliament from East Prince (1896–1898)
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
The Yeo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yeo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 10:38.
on orders of $85 or more