on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Yeaton family come from? What is the English Yeaton family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yeaton family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yeaton family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yeadon, Yedon, Yeton, Yetton, Yeaton and others.
First found in Yorkshire at Yeadon, a town now within the City of Leeds metropolitan borough. The town dates back to the Domesday Book when it was listed as Iadun and probably meant "steep hill," from the Old English words gaeh + dun.  It is here that the first record of the name was found in 1226 when John of Yedon held lands in this area. Alternatively, the name could have been derived from Yeaton, a small village in Shropshire which also dates back to the Domesday Book. In this latter case, the village was first listed as Aiton and probably meant "farmstead by a river." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yeaton research. Another 145 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Yeaton History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yeaton Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
- Walter J. Yeaton, American Republican politician, Candidate for New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Benton, 1938
- Lewis F. Yeaton, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Wadena, Minnesota, 1875-78
- John H. Yeaton, American Republican politician, Member of New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Portsmouth 2nd Ward; Elected 1938
- Henry A. Yeaton, American politician, Member of New Hampshire State Senate 24th District, 1899-1900
- Albert J. Yeaton, American Democrat politician, Elected New Hampshire State House of Representatives from Epsom 1938
- Dana Yeaton, American Visiting Assistant Professor of Theatre at Middlebury College, Vermont
- Kathryn Yeaton, American accounting professor at the Ramapo College of New Jersey
- Hopley Yeaton (1739-1812), American first officer commissioned by George Washington into the Revenue Cutter Service, forerunner of the United States Coast Guard
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Yeaton Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yeaton Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 December 2015 at 12:12.
on orders of $85 or more