on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Woodville family come from? What is the English Woodville family crest and coat of arms? When did the Woodville family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Woodville family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodvile, Woodville, Woodwell, Woodwill and others.
First found in Northampton where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 14th century in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodville research. Another 181 words(13 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1455, 1487, 1437, 1469, 1426 and 1466 are included under the topic Early Woodville History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Woodville Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodville Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Woodville, who settled in Dominica in 1776
Woodville Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. Woodville, who was on record in Maryland in 1812
- Wm Woodville, aged 20, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- William Woodville, who arrived in Baltimore in 1818
- John Alonzo Woodville, who was Naturalzied in New Orleans sometime between 1868 and 1898
- Richard Caton Woodville Sr. (1825-1855), American painter
- Richard Caton Woodville Jr. (1856-1927), English Painter, son of Richard Caton Woodville
- Elizabeth Woodville (1437-1492), queen consort of Edward IV
- Katherine Woodville (b. 1938), British film and television actress
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Woodville Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodville Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 February 2014 at 10:21.
on orders of $85 or more