on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Woodville family come from? What is the English Woodville family crest and coat of arms? When did the Woodville family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Woodville family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodvile, Woodville, Woodwell, Woodwill and others.
First found in Northamptonshire at Woodwell, a hamlet about a mile west of the village of Woodford. Some of the first records of the name include: Robert de Wudewelle who was listed in Bedfordshire c. 1240 and Geoffrey de Wodewell who was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Suffolk in 1327. The place name literally means "dweller by the stream or spring in the wood," from the Old English words wuda, wiella. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodville research. Another 181 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1618, 1455, 1487, 1437, 1469, 1426 and 1466 are included under the topic Early Woodville History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 59 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Woodville Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodville Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Woodville, who settled in Dominica in 1776
Woodville Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wm. Woodville, who was on record in Maryland in 1812
- Wm Woodville, aged 20, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- William Woodville, who arrived in Baltimore in 1818
- John Alonzo Woodville, who was Naturalzied in New Orleans sometime between 1868 and 1898
- Richard Caton Woodville Sr. (1825-1855), American painter
- Richard Caton Woodville Jr. (1856-1927), English Painter, son of Richard Caton Woodville
- Katherine Woodville (b. 1938), British film and television actress
- Elizabeth Woodville (1437-1492), queen consort of Edward IV
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Woodville Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodville Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 September 2015 at 10:14.
on orders of $85 or more