on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Woodhull family come from? What is the English Woodhull family crest and coat of arms? When did the Woodhull family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Woodhull family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Woodall, Woodhall, Woodhull and others.
First found in North Yorkshire at Woodale, a hamlet in Coverdale in the Yorkshire Dales. The place name dates back to 1223 where it was listed as Wulvedale and literally meant "valley frequented by wolves." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Woodhull research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Woodhull History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Woodhull Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Woodhull Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Richard Woodhull settled in Long Island in 1631
Woodhull Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Woodhull, who arrived in New York, NY in 1844
- Maxwell Van Zandt Woodhull (1843-1921), American Union brevet brigadier general during the period of the American Civil War
- Caleb Smith Woodhull (1792-1866), American politician, 70th Mayor of New York City from 1849 to 1851
- Abraham Woodhull (1750-1826), American member of the Culper Spy Ring during the American Revolution
- General Nathaniel Woodhull (1722-1776), American brigadier-general of the New York Militia during the American Revolution
- Victoria Woodhull (1838-1927), American leader of the woman's suffrage movement, the first female candidate for President of the United States in 1872
- Alfred Alexander Woodhull (1837-1921), US Army surgeon, recipient of the gold medal of the Military Service Institution in 1885 and the Seaman essay prize in 1907
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Woodhull Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Woodhull Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 April 2014 at 14:43.
on orders of $85 or more