Early Origins of the Wincott family
The surname Wincott was first found in Warwickshire
at Wincott in Whichford where the first record of the family was Hugh de Withmecote who was listed in the Assize Rolls in 1221. A few years later, William de Wynnecote was listed in the Feet of Fines (1253-1254) and John Wynecotte was listed in Subsidy Rolls
in 1332. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
Wincot(t) is where Shakespeare's mother was born. We cannot find Wincott in Warwickshire
but Whichford is a small village and civil parish in the south of Warwickshire.
Bardsley presumes that the name was a baptismal name as in 'the son of Wingod,' and believes that the Wincott spelling is a corruption of the original name. He found Robert Wynegod listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of Oxfordshire in 1273 and William Wynegod in the same rolls in Someset. CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
Early History of the Wincott family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wincott research.Another 141 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1253 and 1332 are included under the topic Early Wincott History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wincott Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Wincot, Wincott, Wincote, Wyncote, Wyncot and many more.
Early Notables of the Wincott family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wincott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wincott family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wincott Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Benj. Wincott, who was on record in Toronto in the cenus of Ontario Canada of 1871
Contemporary Notables of the name Wincott (post 1700)
- Andrew Wincott, English actor from Banbury, Oxfordshire, known for The Witcher (2007), Second Sight (2004) and Dead Nation (2010)
- Harry Wincott (b. 1867), born Alfred James Walden, English songwriter of popular pub songs including: "The Old Dun Cow" and "Mademoiselle from Armentières"
- Harold Wincott (1906-1969), British economist and journalist, awarded a CBE in 1963; founder of the Wincott Foundation which provides annual awards for economic, financial and business journalism in the UK
- Michael Anthony Claudio Wincott (b. 1958), Canadian Behind the Voice Actors Award nominated actor and musician, from Scarborough, Ontario
- Jeff Wincott (b. 1957), Canadian Gemina Award nominated actor, from Scarborough Ontario, brother of Michael Wincott
- Daniel Wincott, Blackwell Law and Society Chair at Cardiff Law School (2008)