Winant History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Winant family
The surname Winant was first found in Cornwall where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1297 when Wynan Tirel held lands.
Early History of the Winant family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Winant research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1332, 1455, 1487, 1510, 1600 and 1544 are included under the topic Early Winant History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Winant Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Winand, Winans, Winant, Wynands, Wignan, Wignand, Winant, Wynan, Winand and many more.
Early Notables of the Winant family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Winant Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Winant migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Winant Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Daniel Winant and Jacob Winant, who were both recorded in New York city in 1776
Contemporary Notables of the name Winant (post 1700) +
- Peter Winant, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Richmond County, 1787-88, 1789-91 
- John H. Winant, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Bergen County, 1876-77 
- John Gilbert Winant (1889-1947), American Republican politician, Member of New Hampshire State House of Representatives, 1917-18, 1923-24 
- Donald E. Winant, American politician, Mayor of Dumont, New Jersey, 2000-02 
- Bornt P. Winant, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Richmond County, 1840 
- Scott Winant, American movie director
- Winant Van Winkle, American politician, Member of New Jersey State Senate from Bergen County, 1935-40 
Related Stories +