The Wilingtuns surname is classed as a habitation name; that is, one derived from a pre-existing place name. There are several places in various counties so named in Britain.
Early Origins of the Wilingtuns family
The surname Wilingtuns was first found in Burton, Yorkshire
, where early records, including documents from the Burton Chartulary record Nicholas de Wilentona, in 1251. Willington in Derbyshire
has an interesting story to tell about the family. "The property at the Domesday Survey
belonged partly to the king, and partly to Ralph Fitzhubert. Henry II. gave one of the two manors to Burton Abbey. The other appears to have been given with the church, by the family of Willington, to the prior and convent of Repton." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
Early History of the Wilingtuns family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wilingtuns research.Another 235 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1662, 1330 and 1322 are included under the topic Early Wilingtuns History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wilingtuns Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Willington, Wilington, Wilentona,Wilenton and others.
Early Notables of the Wilingtuns family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wilingtuns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wilingtuns family to Ireland
Some of the Wilingtuns family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 51 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wilingtuns family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: James Willington, who was on record in Virginia in 1691; Jane Willington, who came to Virginia in 1699; Mary Willington, who arrived in Virginia in 1653.