100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Wiggins family come from? What is the English Wiggins family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wiggins family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wiggins family history?The ancient and distinguished surname Wiggins indicates "son of Wigand," a personal name derived from the Breton name "Wiucon," meaning "high and noble." This name was introduced into England at the time of the Norman Conquest of 1066.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wiggin, Wiggins, Wigan, Wigans, Wiegand, Wigand, Wigens and many more.
First found in the county of Cambridgeshire, where one named Wighen was listed in the Domesday Book in 1086. Another early bearer of the name was Radulfus filius Wigein, who was living in Leicestershire in 1163. Hereditary surnames were first used in England by the higher classes as a mark of distinction, but were later adopted by poorer people as well. Family names were standard in England by the 14th century, by which time the Wiggins family had already grown into several notable and distinguished houses, having been granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiggins research. Another 211 words(15 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1279, 1379, 1592, 1667, 1633, 1637, 1696 and 1739 are included under the topic Early Wiggins History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 57 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiggins Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wiggins family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 81 words(6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wiggins Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Wiggins, who arrived in Virginia in 1661
- William Wiggins, who landed in Maryland in 1674
Wiggins Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Wm Wiggins, who arrived in North Carolina in 1701
Wiggins Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Wiggins, aged 46, arrived in New York in 1812
- Luke Wiggins, aged 27, arrived in Rhode Island in 1812
- Margaret Wiggins, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Hugh Wiggins, who landed in New York, NY in 1817
- Eliza Wiggins, who sailed from Ireland to New York in 1817
Wiggins Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Henry Wiggins, who arrived in Esquimalt, British Columbia in 1862
- George Wiggins, who was living in Ontario in 1871
Wiggins Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- James Wiggins, English convict from Sussex, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- Sarah Wiggins, aged 20, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Florentia"
- Sarah Wiggins arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Florentia" in 1849
Wiggins Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Wiggins arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Oliver Lang" in 1858
- William Wiggins, aged 16, a farm labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Queen Bee" in 1872
- Richard Wiggins, aged 40, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- Eliza Wiggins, aged 44, arrived in Lyttelton, New Zealand aboard the ship "Ballochmyle" in 1874
- George Wiggins, aged 16, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Strathnaver" in 1874
- Rae Lamar Wiggins (b. 1974), former American football wide receiver
- Thomas "Blind Tom" Wiggins (1849-1908), African American musical prodigy on the piano, best known for The Rain Storm, composed at the age of 6
- Mitchell Wiggins (b. 1959), American retired NBA basketball player
- Jermaine Wiggins (b. 1975), American NFL and UFL football player
- James Russell Wiggins (1903-2000), American newspaper editor of The Washington Post and United States Ambassador to the United Nations
- Gerald Wiggins (1922-2008), American jazz pianist and organist
- Candice Wiggins (b. 1987), American basketball player, daughter of Alan Wiggins
- Alan Wiggins (1958-1991), American Major League Baseball second baseman
- Mitchell Lee Wiggins (b. 1959), retired American professional basketball player
- Wiley Wiggins (b. 1976), American screen actor
- Begats, a Chronicle of the McMillan, Preston, Wiggins, and Binford Families by Mabel E. Preston Wiggins.
- Descendants & Antecedents of Darius Knowles, 1829-1881, and His Wife Rhoda Ann Wiggins, 1831-1915 by Beverly Knowles Metzger.
- The Gardiner-Squires Connection by Tiger Gardiner.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
The Wiggins Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wiggins Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 18 April 2015 at 11:49.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!