on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Whittington was first found in Derbyshire
at Whittington, a parish, in the union of Chesterfield, hundred
of Scarsdale. There are others locals of the same name found in Gloucestershire
. To confuse the reader more, we draw your attention to the following quote under the township of Whittingham: "Warin de Whitington, who lived in the reign of John, held lands in the township, and his descendants held the manor in the reign of Edward II. The family long continued connected with the place; and a Richard Whittingham, who had two sons and a daughter, was living in the middle of the last century. [1700s]" Richard Whittington ( c.
1354-1423), the medieval merchant and a politician who was the inspiration for the folk tale "Dick Whittington and His Cat" was from Gloucestershire, but his family claim descent from Staffordshire.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitington, Whittington, Whyttington and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whittington research. Another 271 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1320, 1480, 1553, 1354, 1423, 1397, 1406 and 1419 are included under the topic Early Whittington History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Distinguished members of the family include Robert Whittington (Wittinton) (c. 1480-c. 1553), an English grammarian; and Sir Richard Whittington (c. 1354-1423), the famous "Dick Whittington," was Lord Mayor of London in...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whittington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whittington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Whittington who settled in St. Christopher in 1633
- Stephen Whittington, aged 20, landed in St Christopher in 1633
- Richard Whittington, who arrived in New England in 1646
- Francis Whittington, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- William Whittington, who arrived in Virginia in 1653
Whittington Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Whittington settled in Maryland in 1774
Whittington Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Mr. John Whittington U.E. who settled in Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784 he was part of the Cape Ann Association CITATION[CLOSE]
Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
Whittington Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- George Whittington arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stebonheath" in 1850
- John Whittington, aged 28, a plumber, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Magdalena"
- George Ball Caswell Whittington, aged 35, a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Caroline"
Whittington Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hugh Whittington, aged 21, a bricklayer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hindostan" in 1875
- Edward Whittington, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Thomas Whittington, aged 21, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Jacob Whittington, aged 35, a gardener, arrived in Taranaki aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1878
- Mary J. Whittington, aged 33, arrived in Taranaki aboard the ship "Hermione" in 1878
- William Madison Whittington (1878-1962), American politician, Democratic politician from Mississippi
- Volney Voss "V.V." Whittington (1893-1974), American banker and politician, Democratic member of the Louisiana State Senate from 1928 to 1932
- Khadijah Ameenah Whittington (b. 1986), American professional basketball player
- Reginald Donald "Don" Whittington (b. 1946), former American racing driver from Lubbock, Texas
- Andrew Whittington (b. 1971), Australian former rugby league player
- Sergeant Hulon B Whittington, American soldier who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1944
- Professor Harry Whittington, American geologist
- Charles Whittington, Chamberlain of London
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. Motto:
Sapere audeMotto Translation:
Dare to be wise.
- ^ Rubincam, Milton. The Old United Empire Loyalists List. Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc, 1976. (Originally published as; United Empire Loyalists. The Centennial of the Settlement of Upper Canada. Rose Publishing Company, 1885.) ISBN 0-8063-0331-X
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Whittington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whittington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 August 2016 at 13:28.
on orders of $85 or more