Whitcher History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Whitcher family
The surname Whitcher was first found in Bedfordshire
(Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England
, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon
kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1176 when Richard Wicher held lands.
Early History of the Whitcher family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitcher research.Another 260 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Whitcher History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Whitcher Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Witcher, Wicher, Whitcher, Whitched, Witcher, Whicher, Wytcher, Wycher and many more.
Early Notables of the Whitcher family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Whitcher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Whitcher family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitcher Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Whitcher, who settled in Maryland in 1668
Whitcher Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Whitcher, a bonded immigrant, who settled in America in 1733
Contemporary Notables of the name Whitcher (post 1700)
- Robert Arthur "Bob" Whitcher (1917-1997), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played for the Boston Braves in 1945
- Frances Miriam "Berry" Whitcher (1811-1852), American humorist, creator of poems and sketches
- John W. Whitcher, American politician, U.S. Attorney for Nevada, 1889-94 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- William Whitcher (1832-1910), English cricketer who played from 1864 to 1867 for Hampshire
Whitcher Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html