Wetherholt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Wetherholt family
The surname Wetherholt was first found in Cumberland (now called Cumbria) as Wetheral, a village and civil parish that dates back to c. 1100 when it was first listed as Wetherhala.
The place name literally means "nook of land where wether-sheep are kept," from the Old English words "wether" + "halh."  One of the first records of the name was found here with Richard de Wederhal who was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Cumberland in 1332. William Wethereld, Wetherald, Wetherold was listed in Suffolk (1429-1433). 
Hugh de Wederhale was listed in Cumberland during the reign of Edward I., and Adam de Wederhal, horner was listed during the reign of Edward II., as a Freeman of York. 
Early History of the Wetherholt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wetherholt research. Another 46 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1726, 1808, 1764, 1807, 1768, 1772, 1770, 1846, 1830, 1832, 1826, 1830, 1754, 1842, 1775, 1776, 1780, 1781 and 1782 are included under the topic Early Wetherholt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wetherholt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wetherall, Weatherall, Wetherell, Metherall and many more.
Early Notables of the Wetherholt family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Nathan Wetherell D.D. (1726-1808), English academic administrator at the University of Oxford. He was Dean of Hereford, Master of University College, Oxford (1764-1807) and Vice-Chancellor of Oxford University...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wetherholt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wetherholt family to Ireland
Some of the Wetherholt family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 169 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wetherholt migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wetherholt Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jacob Wetherholt, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754 
Related Stories +
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)