The Westfield surname is derived from the Old English words "west" meaning "west," and "feld," meaning "open country;" it was likely taken on as a habitational name from either of two places, Westfield, in Norfolk
and Westfield, in Sussex; or it may have been a name for someone who lived to the west of an open field.
Early Origins of the Westfield family
The surname Westfield was first found in Bedfordshire
(Old English: Bedanfordscir), located in Southeast-central England
, formerly part of the Anglo-Saxon
kingdom of Mercia, where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1276 when John Westfield held estates in that shire.
Early History of the Westfield family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Westfield research.Another 270 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1376, 1455, 1487, and 1642 are included under the topic Early Westfield History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Westfield Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Westfield, Westerfill, Westerfeild, Westfield, Westfill, Westfill and many more.
Early Notables of the Westfield family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Westfield Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Westfield family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Westfield Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Grace Westfield, who settled in America in 1716
- Richard Westfield, who settled in America in 1745
- Elizabeth Westfield, a bonded passenger, who settled in America in 1775
Westfield Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Jane Westfield, aged 37, a nurse, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hindostan" in 1875
Contemporary Notables of the name Westfield (post 1700)
- George Westfield, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Michigan State Senate 7th District, 1962 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 4) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Mervyn Westfield (b. 1988), English cricketer
- John Westfield, Physical Education Department Chairperson at St. John's Preparatory School, MA