An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The Weiford surname and its variations are habitation names that have been taken on from various place names in Berkshire, Gloucestershire, Northhantsford, and elsewhere. These place names are generally derived from the Old English "welig," meaning "willow," or "well," denoting "a spring," combined with "ford."
The surname Weiford was first found in Berkshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant of the lands of Welford which was held by the Abingdon Abbey and was recorded in the Domesday Book census of 1086.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Welford, Wellford, Welsford, Wellsford and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weiford research. Another 171 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1190 and 1461 are included under the topic Early Weiford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Weiford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Robt. Welford, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1805; Thomas Wellford, whose oath of Allegiance was recorded in Philadelphia in 1815; Samuel Wellsford, who arrived in New York, NY in 1822.
The Weiford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Weiford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 January 2016 at 10:10.