Early Origins of the Wanless family
The surname Wanless was first found in Northumberland
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Wanless family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wanless research.Another 213 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1451, 1538, 1711 and 1655 are included under the topic Early Wanless History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wanless Spelling Variations
During the era when a person's name, tribe and posterity was one of his most important possessions, many different spellings were found in the archives examined. Wanless occurred in many references, and spelling variations
of the name found included Wandless, Wanless, Wanliss, Wanlace, Wanley, Wanlass, Wanles and many more.
Early Notables of the Wanless family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wanless Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wanless family to the New World and Oceana
Gradually becoming disenchanted with life in Ireland
many of these uprooted families sailed aboard the armada of sailing ships known as the "White Sails" which plied the stormy Atlantic. These overcrowded ships often arrived with only 60 to 70% of their original passenger list, many dying of illness and the elements, were buried at sea. In North America, early immigrants bearing the family name Wanless, or a spelling variation of the surname include:
Wanless Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elizabeth Wanless, who landed in America in 1750
Wanless Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Archibald Wanless, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1834 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Wanless (post 1700)
- Elizabeth Wanless (b. 1981), American shot putter at the 2005 World Championships
- Neville Wanless (b. 1931), English broadcaster from Wallsend-on-Tyne, best known for his work at Tyne Tees Television
- Paul Steven Wanless (b. 1973), English former professional footballer and manager from Banbury, England
- Peter Thomas Wanless CB (b. 1964), English executive and former civil servant, Chief Executive Officer of the NSPCC (2013-), Chief Executive Officer of the Big Lottery Fund (2008-2013)
- Sir Derek Wanless (1947-2012), English banker and adviser from Newcastle upon Tyne
- Ian Murray Wanless (b. 1969), Australian Professor in the School of Mathematical Sciences at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, born in Canberra