on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch
The surname Walter was first found in Silesia
, where the name was associated in early mediaeval times with the feudal
society which would shape and define European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Walter, Walters, Walther, Waltherr and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walter research. Another 297 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1484, 1699, 1782, 1712, 1740, 1170, 1230, 1708, 1430, 1504, 1651 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Walter History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Notables of the period with the surname Walter were Walther von der Vogelweide (1170-1230), who was a renowned mediaeval poet. Johann Christoph Walters was the mayor of the city Hirschberg in Silesia
and was ennobled...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Walter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Walter, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Walter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Casper Walter from England settled in New York in 1709 with his wife and nine children
- John George Walter from England settled in New York with his wife and five children in 1709
- Caspar Walter, who emigrated to America with his wife and their nine children in 1709
- Barnard Walter, aged 58, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Barbara Walter, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Walter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Abraham Walter, who arrived in Ohio in 1832
- Abraham Walter, who landed in Ohio in 1832
- A. M. Walter, who came to America in 1836
- Baptiste Walter, aged 27, landed in St Louis, Missouri in 1840
- Heinrich Walter to Texas with his wife Rosine Holzhaueser (1845)
Walter Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Miss. Mary Walter U.E. (b. 1778), aged 5 who arrived at Port Roseway, [Shelburne], Nova Scotia on December 13, 1783 was passenger number 41 aboard the ship "HMS Clinton", picked up on November 14, 1783 at East River, New York, USA
- Mr. Martin Walter U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784
- Mr. Philip Walter U.E. who settled in Eastern District [Cornwall], Ontario c. 1784
Walter Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Walter, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- William Walter, Welsh convict from Glamorgan, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on July 29th, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Walter, English convict from Somerset, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Edward Walter, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Thomas Walter arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caspar" in 1849
Walter Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Walter, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Ellen Walter arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- Earnest Walter, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Berar" in 1873
- William Walter, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "La Hogue" in 1874
- Sarah Walter arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Triumph" in 1883
Walter Settlers in New Zealand in the 20th Century
- Stanley Walter, aged 28, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "S. S. Waimana" in 1926
- Jessica Walter (b. 1941), American Primetime Emmy Award winning and two-time Golden Globe nominated actress, known for her role in the film Play Misty for Me
- Andrew Walter (b. 1982), American football quarterback
- Eugene Ferdinand Walter (1921-1998), American screenwriter, poet, short-story author, actor, puppeteer, gourmet chef, cryptographer, translator, editor, and costume designer
- Bruno Walter (1876-1962), renowned German-born American conductor, known for his interpretations of Mahler and Mozart
- Francis Eugene Walter (1894-1963), American Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Horst Walter (1939-2015), German footballer who played from 1957 to 1972, member of the East Germany National Team in 1962
- Norbert Walter (1944-2012), German economist, Chief Economist of Deutsche Bank from 1990 to 2009
- Joachim Walter (b. 1940), former East German football player
- Ulrich Hans Walter (b. 1954), German physicist/engineer and a former astronaut with 9 days, 23 hours, and 40 minutes in space
- Hellmuth Walter (1900-1980), German engineer who pioneered research into rocket engines and gas turbines
- Mr. William F P Walter (b. 1908), English Warrant Engineer serving for the Royal Navy from Bognor Regis, Sussex, England, who sailed into battle on the HMS Hood and died on 24th May 1941 in the sinking
- Families of Eliza Walters & Benjamin Franklin Johnson of Orange Co., Indiana by James Walters Johnson.
- My Cooley-Walters Ancestry in from Fairchance, Penna., and Surrounding Areas by Kathryn Mercedes Cooley Miller.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Oswald, G. Lexicon der Heraldik. Leipzig: 1984. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Walter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Walter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 June 2016 at 17:12.
on orders of $85 or more