100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: Dutch, English, German
Spelling variations of this family name include: Walter, Walters, Walther, Waltherr and others.
First found in Silesia, where the name was associated in early mediaeval times with the feudal society which would shape and define European history. The name would later emerge as a noble family with great influence, having many distinguished branches, and become noted for its involvement in social, economic and political affairs.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walter research. Another 297 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1484, 1699, 1782, 1712, 1740, 1170, 1230, 1708, 1430, 1504, 1651 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Walter History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Walter Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Walter Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Anne Walter, who landed in Maryland in 1679
Walter Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Casper Walter from England settled in New York in 1709 with his wife and nine children
- John George Walter from England settled in New York with his wife and five children in 1709
- Caspar Walter, who emigrated to America with his wife and their nine children in 1709
- Barnard Walter, aged 58, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1732
- Barbara Walter, aged 24, landed in Pennsylvania in 1733
Walter Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Abraham Walter, who arrived in Ohio in 1832
- Abraham Walter, who landed in Ohio in 1832
- A. M. Walter, who came to America in 1836
- Baptiste Walter, aged 27, landed in St Louis, Missouri in 1840
- Heinrich Walter to Texas with his wife Rosine Holzhaueser (1845)
Walter Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Walter, English convict from Kent, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on September 3rd, 1820, settling in New South Wales, Austraila
- William Walter, Welsh convict from Glamorgan, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on July 29th, 1823, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- John Walter, English convict from Somerset, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Edward Walter, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Thomas Walter arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caspar" in 1849
Walter Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Richard Walter, aged 24, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Martha Ridgeway" in 1840
- Ellen Walter arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- Earnest Walter, aged 20, a labourer, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Berar" in 1873
- William Walter, aged 26, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "La Hogue" in 1874
- Sarah Walter arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Triumph" in 1883
Walter Settlers in New Zealand in the 20th Century
- Stanley Walter, aged 28, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "S. S. Waimana" in 1926
- Jessica Walter (b. 1941), American Primetime Emmy Award winning and two-time Golden Globe nominated actress, known for her role in the film Play Misty for Me
- Andrew Walter (b. 1982), American football quarterback
- Eugene Ferdinand Walter (1921-1998), American screenwriter, poet, short-story author, actor, puppeteer, gourmet chef, cryptographer, translator, editor, and costume designer
- Bruno Walter (1876-1962), renowned German-born American conductor, known for his interpretations of Mahler and Mozart
- Francis Eugene Walter (1894-1963), American Democratic member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Horst Walter (1939-2015), German footballer who played from 1957 to 1972, member of the East Germany National Team in 1962
- Norbert Walter (1944-2012), German economist, Chief Economist of Deutsche Bank from 1990 to 2009
- Joachim Walter (b. 1940), former East German football player
- Ulrich Hans Walter (b. 1954), German physicist/engineer and a former astronaut with 9 days, 23 hours, and 40 minutes in space
- Hellmuth Walter (1900-1980), German engineer who pioneered research into rocket engines and gas turbines
- Families of Eliza Walters & Benjamin Franklin Johnson of Orange Co., Indiana by James Walters Johnson.
- My Cooley-Walters Ancestry in from Fairchance, Penna., and Surrounding Areas by Kathryn Mercedes Cooley Miller.
- Jones, Henry Z. Palatine Families of New York 2 Volumes. Rockland, ME: Picton Press, 2001. Print. (ISBN 978-0961388829).
- Garland, Mary and Henry Garland Editions. Oxford Companion To German Literature 3rd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1997. Print. (ISBN 0198158963).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Nied, Edmund. Fraenkische Familiennamen urkundlich gesammelt und sprachlich gedeutet. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1933. Print.
- Bahlow, Hans and Edda Gentry. Translation Dictionary of German Names 2nd Edition. Madison: University of Wisconsin, 2002. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Preuss, Otto. Die Lippischen Familiennamen mit Berücksichtigung der Ortsnamen. Detmold: Meyer'sche Hofbuchh, 1887. Print.
- Karlsruhe. Badisches Generallandesarchiv Baden Emigration lists 1866-1911. Salt Lake City: Microfilm of Card Index by the Genealogical Society of Utah. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
The Walter Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Walter Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 December 2015 at 02:05.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!