Early Origins of the Wackett family
The surname Wackett was first found in Somerset
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy
, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron
, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England
to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, conjecturally, the surname is descended from the tenant
of the lands of Watchet, held by Dodman from William de Mohun, a Norman Baron, who was recorded in the Domesday Book
census of 1086.
Early History of the Wackett family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wackett research.Another 232 words (17 lines of text) covering the years 1327, 1424, 1510, 1530, 1535, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Wackett History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wackett Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Watchet, Wachet, Wachett, Watchit, Watchette, Watchitt, Wachitt, Wackett, Wackitt, Wackette, Wakette, Wakett, Washet, Washett, Washit and many more.
Early Notables of the Wackett family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Wackett Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wackett family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wackett Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Wackett, an emigrant in bondage, who arrived in America in 1754
- Joseph Wackett, who settled in Virginia in 1765
Wackett Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George Wackett, who was on record in Philadelphia in 1872
Contemporary Notables of the name Wackett (post 1700)
- Byron F. Wackett, American member of the Wisconsin State Assembly
- Lawrence P Wackett, American Professor of Biochemistry University of Minnesota
- Peter Wackett (b. 1987), English professional rugby union player
- Air Vice Marshal Ellis Charles Wackett (1901-1984), senior commander in the Royal Australian Air Force
- Sir Lawrence James Wackett (1896-1982), Australian aviator, WWI pilot, received the Distinguished Flying Cross (September 1918), and founded the Commonwealth Aircraft Corporation (1936)