The history of the French name Vigneault begins among the people of the province of Limousin
. Vigneault was a name for someone who lived in Limousin.
Early Origins of the Vigneault family
The surname Vigneault was first found in Limousin
where this distinguished family held a family seat
at Villefort as members of the aristocracy of that region.
Early History of the Vigneault family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vigneault research.Another 125 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1789 and 1860 are included under the topic Early Vigneault History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vigneault Spelling Variations
French surnames were subject to numerous spelling alterations depending on the region and time it was used. The early development of the French language relied heavily on borrowing elements and grammar from other languages. For example, Old French was infused with Germanic words and sounds when barbarian tribes invaded and settled in France after the fall of the Roman Empire
. Middle French also borrowed heavily from the Italian language during the Renaissance
. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Vigneault is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations
of the name include Vigneault, Vignault, Vignaux, Vignau, Vignaud, Vigneau and many more.
Early Notables of the Vigneault family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vigneault Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Vigneault family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vigneault Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Jean-Baptiste Vigneault, who settled in Quebec in 1724 from Saintonge near Bordeaux
Contemporary Notables of the name Vigneault (post 1700)
- Michel Vigneault (1944-1978), Canadian professional wrestler
- Guillaume Vigneault (b. 1970), French-Canadian novelist
- Steve "Lion Heart" Vigneault, Canadian mixed martial artist
- Gilles Vigneault (b. 1928), Canadian poet, publisher and singer-songwriter
- Sonia Vigneault, French-Canadian actress
- Alain Vigneault (b. 1961), Canadian head coach of the National Hockey League Vancouver Canucks