on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the English Twigg family come from? When did the Twigg family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Twigg family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Twygg, Twygge, Twigg, Twiggs, Twig and others.
First found in Derbyshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say well before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Twigg research. Another 366 words(26 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1272, 1724, and 1740 are included under the topic Early Twigg History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Twigg Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Twigg family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 159 words(11 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Twigg Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Twigg, who landed in Maryland in 1655
- Francis Twigg, who arrived in Maryland in 1655
Twigg Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Paul Twigg settled in New Haven, Conn. in 1820
- Robert Twigg settled in Philadelphia in 1856
- Thomas Twigg, who landed in Arkansas in 1873
- John H. Twigg, aged 51, who settled in America from Dublin, in 1892
- J. H. Twigg, aged 34, who emigrated to America, in 1893
Twigg Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edith Twigg, aged 23, who landed in America from Sheffield, England, in 1907
- Alferd Twigg, aged 53, who emigrated to the United States from Sheffield, England, in 1907
- Harold Despard Twigg, aged 32, who settled in America from Cloghes, Ireland, in 1907
- Mary Twigg, aged 53, who settled in America from Sheffield, England, in 1907
- Herbert Twigg, aged 30, who landed in America, in 1908
Twigg Settlers in Canada in the 20th Century
- James Twigg, aged 27, who settled in Moose Jaw, Canada, in 1913
Twigg Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Twigg arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Asiatic" in 1849
- William Twigg arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stratheden" in 1850
- Ellen Twigg arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stratheden" in 1850
- Caroline Twigg arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "The Stratheden" in 1850
- James Twigg, aged 33, a carpenter, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Star Queen"
- Rebecca Twigg (b. 1963), American seven-time gold medalist racing cyclist, two-time Olympian
- Derek Twigg (b. 1959), British Labour Party politician
- Gary Twigg (b. 1984), Scottish footballer from Glasgow
- Stephen Twigg (b. 1966), British Labour Party politician, Minister of State for Schools (2004-2005)
- Georgie Twigg (1990-2012), British bronze medalist hockey player at the 2012 Olympic Games
- Mr. Frederick Alexander Twigg (d. 1915), Canadian 2nd Class passenger from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking and was recovered
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2014 at 16:22.
on orders of $85 or more