Origins Available: English
According to family tradition, the Turnbuck surname comes from when a member of the Rule family saved the life of King Robert the Bruce at Stirling
Park from a charging bull by turning the bull's head. The grateful King decreed that in commemoration of the brave act the new name of the family would be Turnbull, and granted them an area of land then known as Bedrule. Other Etymology suggests that the name comes from the Old English Trumbald, meaning "strongly bold."
Early Origins of the Turnbuck family
The surname Turnbuck was first found in Roxburghshire
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Scotland
to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Turnbuck family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Turnbuck research.Another 543 words (39 lines of text) covering the years 1214, 1249, 1296, 1335, 1447, 1639 and 1716 are included under the topic Early Turnbuck History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Turnbuck Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Turnbull, Turnball, Trimble, Trimbell, Trumbell, Trumbill, Turnbul and many more.
Early Notables of the Turnbuck family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Turnbuck Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Turnbuck family to Ireland
Some of the Turnbuck family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 135 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Turnbuck family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Thomas and William Turnbull settled in New Jersey in 1685; John Turnbull settled in Annapolis, Maryland in 1753; William Turnbull settled in Bonavista, Newfoundland in 1765.