on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Turkington family come from? What is the English Turkington family crest and coat of arms? When did the Turkington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Turkington family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Torkington, Turkington and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Turkington research. Another 224 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Turkington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Turkington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Turkington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Tarkington, who settled in Baltimore County, Maryland with his wife Prudence, their son John, Jr. and wife Martha, and their son William Joshua; John Torkington settled in Philadelphia in 1856.
- Gregg Turkington (b. 1967), Australian-born, American comedian, best known for his stand-up comedy character, Neil Hamburger
- Scott Turkington, American current principal organist and choirmaster for the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Charleston, South Carolina
- Edward "Ed" Lawrence Turkington (1899-1996), American gold medalist rugby union player at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Eric Turkington, American politician, Democratic member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives (1989-2009)
- Colin Henry Turkington (b. 1982), Northern Irish auto racing driver, 2009 British Touring Car Champion
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Turkington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Turkington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 January 2015 at 10:11.
on orders of $85 or more