on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Turkington family come from? What is the English Turkington family crest and coat of arms? When did the Turkington family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Turkington family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Torkington, Turkington and others.
First found in Cheshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Turkington research. Another 224 words(16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Turkington History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Turkington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Turkington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 147 words(10 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Tarkington, who settled in Baltimore County, Maryland with his wife Prudence, their son John, Jr. and wife Martha, and their son William Joshua; John Torkington settled in Philadelphia in 1856.
- Eric Turkington, American politician, Democratic member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives (1989-2009)
- Edward "Ed" Lawrence Turkington (1899-1996), American gold medalist rugby union player at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Scott Turkington, American current principal organist and choirmaster for the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Charleston, South Carolina
- Gregg Turkington (b. 1967), Australian-born, American comedian, best known for his stand-up comedy character, Neil Hamburger
- Colin Henry Turkington (b. 1982), Northern Irish auto racing driver, 2009 British Touring Car Champion
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Turkington Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Turkington Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 January 2015 at 10:11.
on orders of $85 or more