Turkington History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Turkington family
The surname Turkington was first found in Cheshire at Torkington, a township, in the parish and union of Stockport, hundred of Macclesfield.  Now part of Greater Manchester, the township comprises 670 acres.
Early East Cheshire rolls had the following early entries for the family: Simon de Torkinton, 1225; Robert de Torkinton, 1225; and Thomas de Torkinton, 1357. 
Early History of the Turkington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Turkington research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1517, 1511, 1517, 1517, 1883 and are included under the topic Early Turkington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Turkington Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Torkington, Turkington and others.
Early Notables of the Turkington family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir Richard Torkington (fl. 1517), an English priest and pilgrim, presented in 1511 to the rectory of Mulberton in Norfolk by Sir Thomas Boleyn. "In 1517 he went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, and of his journey he has left an account. "He started from Rye in...
Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Turkington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Turkington family to Ireland
Some of the Turkington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Turkington family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Tarkington, who settled in Baltimore County, Maryland with his wife Prudence, their son John, Jr. and wife Martha, and their son William Joshua; John Torkington settled in Philadelphia in 1856.
Contemporary Notables of the name Turkington (post 1700) +
- Gregg Turkington (b. 1967), Australian-born, American comedian, best known for his stand-up comedy character, Neil Hamburger
- Scott Turkington, American current principal organist and choirmaster for the Roman Catholic Cathedral of Saint John the Baptist in Charleston, South Carolina
- Edward "Ed" Lawrence Turkington (1899-1996), American gold medalist rugby union player at the 1924 Summer Olympics
- Eric Turkington, American politician, Democratic member of the Massachusetts House of Representatives (1989-2009)
- Colin Henry Turkington (b. 1982), Northern Irish auto racing driver, 2009 British Touring Car Champion
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)