100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Tulloch family come from? What is the Scottish Tulloch family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tulloch family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tulloch family history?The Tulloch surname comes the name of a place called Tulloch, on the Firth of Cromarty. The place name comes from the Gaelic word "tulach," meaning a "hillock." Tulloch is classed as a habitation surname, as it derived from an existing place name.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tulloch, Tullo, Tulloh, Tullack, Tullagh and others.
First found in Ross-shire (Gaelic: Siorrachd Rois) a former county, now part of the Council Areas of Highland and Western Isles in Northern Scotland, which emerged from the Gaelic lordship of the Earl of Ross, where they held a family seat from very ancient times, whereas the Tullos variant is from the area of Torry, a suburb of Aberdeen and takes its name from the Vale of Tullos which lies between Tullos Hill and Torry Hill.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tulloch research. Another 231 words(16 lines of text) covering the years 1364, 1380, 1411, 1422, 1639, 1649, 1669, 1678, 1689, 1460, 1418, 1461, 1482, 1477, 1482, 1461, 1477, 1470 and 1482 are included under the topic Early Tulloch History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 91 words(6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tulloch Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tulloch Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John and Janet Tulloch, who arrived in Savannah, Georgia with their five children in 1775
- Andrew Tulloch, who settled in Philadelphia in 1799
Tulloch Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Tulloch, who arrived in the Carolinas in 1808
Tulloch Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patrick Tulloch, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1801
- Patrick Tulloch, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1801
Tulloch Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Hugh Tulloch, aged 26, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Marion"
Tulloch Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Tulloch, aged 26, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Hudson" in 1879
- Stephen Michael Tulloch (b. 1985), American NFL football linebacker
- Elizabeth "Bitsie" Tulloch (b. 1981), American actress
- Miss Hannah Tulloch (d. 1915), American 2nd Class passenger from Kendall, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- John Tulloch (1823-1886), Scottish theologian
- Robert John Tulloch MBE (1929-1996), Scottish naturalist
- Mrs. Agnes Tulloch (d. 1915), Scottish 2nd Class passenger residing in Kendall, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Mr. James Tulloch (d. 1915), Scottish 2nd Class passenger residing in Kendall, USA, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania and died in the sinking
- Lawrence Gideon "Lardie" Tulloch (1871-1955), Australian rules footballer
- Albert "Bert" Tulloch (1889-1953), English professional footballer
- Lee Ann Tulloch (b. 1954), Australian journalist and author
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Scotch Irish Pioneers In Ulster and America. Montana: Kessinger Publishing. Print.
- Barrow, G.W.S Ed. Acts of Malcom IV 1153-65 Volume I Regesta Regum Scottorum 1153-1424. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 1960. Print.
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
The Tulloch Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tulloch Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 June 2015 at 14:55.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!