on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tubb family come from? What is the English Tubb family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tubb family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tubb family history?
The first dictionaries that appeared in the last few hundred years did much to standardize the English language. Before that time, spelling variations in names were a common occurrence. The language was changing, incorporating pieces of other languages, and the spelling of names changed with it. Tubb has been spelled many different ways, including Tubb, Tub, Tubby, Tubman and others.
First found in Cornwall where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor of Trengoff. Cornwall was a land set apart, a land of mystique and quaint customs, more strongly related to Brittany and Wales than to England. It was not until the 10th century that they submitted to the Saxon rule of England. Since then, their influence has moved east into Devon, Somerset and Dorset.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tubb research. Another 152 words(11 lines of text) covering the year 1620 is included under the topic Early Tubb History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tubb Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Thousands of English families in this era began to emigrate the New World in search of land and freedom from religious and political persecution. Although the passage was expensive and the ships were dark, crowded, and unsafe, those who made the voyage safely were rewarded with opportunities unavailable to them in their homeland. Research into passenger and immigration lists has revealed some of the very first Tubbs to arrive in North America:
Tubb Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Elizabeth Tubb, who came to Maryland in 1670
- Elizabeth Tubb, who arrived in Maryland in 1670
- William Tubb, who landed in Maryland in 1673
- Mathew Tubb, who settled in Virginia in 1673
- Richard Tubb, who came to Maryland in 1675
Tubb Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Edward Tubb, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Jacob Tubb, a bonded passenger, who settled in Maryland in 1728
Tubb Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Tubb, who settled in New York in 1862
- Alexander Tubb, aged 7, arrived in New York in 1862
- Daniel Tubb, aged 20, landed in New York in 1862
- Eliza Tubb, aged 38, landed in New York in 1862
- George Tubb, aged 42, landed in New York in 1862
Tubb Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Alfred Tubb, aged 28, a blacksmith, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Pestonjee Bomanjee"
- Justin Tubb (1935-1998), American Country Music singer and songwriter
- Barry Tubb (b. 1963), American film and television actor and director
- Ernest Tubb (1914-1984), American country music singer and songwriter
- Richard Tubb, American Air Force officer, physician to President George W. Bush
- Frederick Harold Tubb (1881-1917), Australian recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Edwin Charles Tubb (b. 1919), British science-fiction author and editor
- Shannon Tubb (b. 1980), Australian cricket player
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
The Tubb Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tubb Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 6 September 2012 at 09:15.
on orders of $85 or more