100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Trafford family come from? What is the English Trafford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Trafford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Trafford family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Trafford, Trafforde, Traford and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times at Trafford, before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Randolphus Trafford lived about the year 1030 and was Lord of the manor of Trafford. His son Randolphus (Randolphus filius Radulphi) died about the year 1080. However, another reference claims the progenitor of the family was Ralph de Trafford who died about 1050.  Trafford is today a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester but claims its origin from as an Anglo-French version of "Stratford," deriving from the Old English words stręt (a Roman road) and ford (a river crossing). Combined the place name meant "ford on a Roman road." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trafford research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1495, 1773, 1288, 1284, 1334, 1309, 1426, 1444, 1514, 1495, 1526, 1590, 1620, 1603, 1617 and 1599 are included under the topic Early Trafford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 175 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Trafford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trafford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Trafford settled in America in 1768
Trafford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Rawson Trafford landed in Wanganui, New Zealand in 1840
- Mason Trafford (b. 1986), American-born, Canadian soccer player
- Rodney Trafford (b. 1978), former American football tight end
- Stanley John Trafford (b. 1945), English former footballer and cricketer
- Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford DL (1778-1852), 1st Baronet, a member of a prominent family of English Roman Catholics
- Charles Edmund de Trafford (1864-1951), English aristocrat and noted cricketer
- Sir Humphrey de Trafford (1808-1886), 2nd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Francis de Trafford (1862-1929), 3rd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Edmund de Trafford (1891-1971), 4th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Rudolph Edgar Francis de Trafford (1894-1983), 5th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Dermot Humphrey de Trafford (1925-2010), 6th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Trafford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Trafford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2015 at 09:21.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!