on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Trafford family come from? What is the English Trafford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Trafford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Trafford family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Trafford, Trafforde, Traford and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times at Trafford, before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Randolphus Trafford lived about the year 1030 and was Lord of the manor of Trafford. His son Randolphus (Randolphus filius Radulphi) died about the year 1080. However, another reference claims the progenitor of the family was Ralph de Trafford who died about 1050.  Trafford is today a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester but claims its origin from as an Anglo-French version of "Stratford," deriving from the Old English words stręt (a Roman road) and ford (a river crossing). Combined the place name meant "ford on a Roman road." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trafford research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1495, 1773, 1288, 1284, 1334, 1309, 1426, 1444, 1514, 1495, 1526, 1590, 1620, 1603, 1617 and 1599 are included under the topic Early Trafford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 175 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Trafford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trafford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Trafford settled in America in 1768
Trafford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Rawson Trafford landed in Wanganui, New Zealand in 1840
- Mason Trafford (b. 1986), American-born, Canadian soccer player
- Rodney Trafford (b. 1978), former American football tight end
- Stanley John Trafford (b. 1945), English former footballer and cricketer
- Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford DL (1778-1852), 1st Baronet, a member of a prominent family of English Roman Catholics
- Charles Edmund de Trafford (1864-1951), English aristocrat and noted cricketer
- Sir Humphrey de Trafford (1808-1886), 2nd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Francis de Trafford (1862-1929), 3rd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Edmund de Trafford (1891-1971), 4th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Rudolph Edgar Francis de Trafford (1894-1983), 5th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Dermot Humphrey de Trafford (1925-2010), 6th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
The Trafford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Trafford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2015 at 09:21.
on orders of $85 or more