100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Trafford family come from? What is the English Trafford family crest and coat of arms? When did the Trafford family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Trafford family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Trafford, Trafforde, Traford and others.
First found in Lancashire where they held a family seat from very ancient times at Trafford, before the Norman Conquest in 1066. Randolphus Trafford lived about the year 1030 and was Lord of the manor of Trafford. His son Randolphus (Randolphus filius Radulphi) died about the year 1080. However, another reference claims the progenitor of the family was Ralph de Trafford who died about 1050.  Trafford is today a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester but claims its origin from as an Anglo-French version of "Stratford," deriving from the Old English words stręt (a Roman road) and ford (a river crossing). Combined the place name meant "ford on a Roman road." 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trafford research. Another 193 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1495, 1773, 1288, 1284, 1334, 1309, 1426, 1444, 1514, 1495, 1526, 1590, 1620, 1603, 1617 and 1599 are included under the topic Early Trafford History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 175 words(12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Trafford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trafford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Trafford settled in America in 1768
Trafford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Rawson Trafford landed in Wanganui, New Zealand in 1840
- Rodney Trafford (b. 1978), former American football tight end
- Mason Trafford (b. 1986), American-born, Canadian soccer player
- Sir John Humphrey de Trafford (b. 1950), 7th baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Dermot Humphrey de Trafford (1925-2010), 6th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Rudolph Edgar Francis de Trafford (1894-1983), 5th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Edmund de Trafford (1891-1971), 4th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Francis de Trafford (1862-1929), 3rd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey de Trafford (1808-1886), 2nd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford DL (1778-1852), 1st Baronet, a member of a prominent family of English Roman Catholics
- Charles Edmund de Trafford (1864-1951), English aristocrat and noted cricketer
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
The Trafford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Trafford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 21 January 2015 at 09:21.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!