100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Trafford was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times at Trafford, before the Norman Conquest
in 1066. Randolphus Trafford lived about the year 1030 and was Lord of the manor of Trafford. His son Randolphus (Randolphus filius
Radulphi) died about the year 1080. However, two other references claims the progenitor of the family was Ralph de Trafford who died about 1050.  
Trafford is today a metropolitan borough of Greater Manchester but claims its origin from as an Anglo-French version of "Stratford," deriving from the Old English words stręt (a Roman road) and ford (a river crossing). Combined the place name meant "ford on a Roman road." 
Later the parish of Wilmslow in Cheshire
was an ancient family seat
. "The church is a handsome and very ancient structure in the decorated and later English styles, with a square tower; it comprises a nave, chancel, and two aisles, of which the east end of one and the west end of the other are inclosed as sepulchral chapels, for the families of Dunham and Trafford." 
The same church includes an inscription to Henry Treffort, rector, 1537. Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford, Bart. was patron of the parish.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Trafford, Trafforde, Traford and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Trafford research. Another 193 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1495, 1773, 1288, 1284, 1334, 1309, 1426, 1444, 1514, 1495, 1526, 1590, 1620, 1603, 1617 and 1599 are included under the topic Early Trafford History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 175 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Trafford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Trafford Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Charles Trafford settled in America in 1768
Trafford Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Rawson Trafford landed in Wanganui, New Zealand in 1840
- Rodney Trafford (b. 1978), former American football tight end
- Mason Trafford (b. 1986), American-born, Canadian soccer player
- Sir John Humphrey de Trafford (b. 1950), 7th baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Dermot Humphrey de Trafford (1925-2010), 6th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Rudolph Edgar Francis de Trafford (1894-1983), 5th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Edmund de Trafford (1891-1971), 4th Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey Francis de Trafford (1862-1929), 3rd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Humphrey de Trafford (1808-1886), 2nd Baronet of Trafford Park, English peer
- Sir Thomas Joseph de Trafford DL (1778-1852), 1st Baronet, a member of a prominent family of English Roman Catholics
- Charles Edmund de Trafford (1864-1951), English aristocrat and noted cricketer
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
The Trafford Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Trafford Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 March 2016 at 14:51.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!