on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The oldest instances of the Tracy surname in Ireland
come from an Anglicized form of the Gaelic Ó Treasaigh, or "descendant of Treasach," a personal name
meaning "warlike," "fierce." However, many of the surname Tracy come from Anglo-Norman roots, from the large category of Anglo-Norman habitation names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
The surname Tracy was first found in Devon
, where they were Lords of Barnstaple, descended from a famous Norman family from Tracy near Vire in Carne in Normandy
. William Tracey was a natural son of Henry I, and his descendant, Henry Tracey received from King Stephen the Barony of Barnstaple. His descendant, William Tracy, in 1170, was one of the murderers of Thomas A Becket, Archbishop of Canterbury.
A single person's name was often spelt simply as it sounded by medieval scribes and church officials. An investigation into the specific origins the name Tracy has revealed that such a practice has resulted in many spelling variations over the years. A few of its variants include: Tracey, Tracy, Treacy, Trassey, Trasey, O'Tracy, O'Trasey, Tracye and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tracy research. Another 317 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1172, 1643, and 1648 are included under the topic Early Tracy History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tracy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
In the 1840s, Ireland
experienced a mass exodus to North America due to the Great Potato Famine
. These families wanted to escape from hunger and disease that was ravaging their homeland. With the promise of work, freedom and land overseas, the Irish looked upon British North America and the United States as a means of hope and prosperity. Those that survived the journey were able to achieve this through much hard work and perseverance. Early immigration and passenger lists revealed many bearing the name Tracy:
Tracy Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Stephen Tracy and Tryphosa Tracy, who came to Plymouth Massachusetts in 1621
- Stephen Tracy, who landed in Massachusetts in 1623
- Robert Tracy, who landed in Virginia in 1653
- Robert and Mary Tracy, who settled in Virginia in 1654
- Samuel Tracy, who landed in Maryland in 1670
Tracy Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Alexander Tracy, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1710-1711
- John Tracy, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1768
Tracy Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaret Tracy, aged 2, landed in New York, NY in 1803
- Rose Tracy, aged 32, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- James Tracy, aged 30, arrived in New York, NY in 1803
- Hugh Tracy, who landed in New York, NY in 1811
- Mary Tracy, who arrived in New York, NY in 1816
Tracy Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Patrick Tracy, who arrived in Canada in 1813
- Bridget Tracy, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1825
- George Tracy, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- Joseph Tracy, aged 20, arrived in Quebec in 1833
- Thomas Tracy, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1835
Tracy Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Mary Tracy, aged 19, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Glentanner"
Tracy Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Robert Tracy arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Bridget Tracy arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Asterope" in 1865
- Frank W. Tracy, American politician, First Selectman of Preston, Connecticut, 1888
- Fred Edson Tracy (b. 1865), American Republican politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Belvidere, 1910
- Frederick Palmer Tracy, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from California, 1860
- Gardner Tracy, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Rensselaer County, 1821-22
- George Bentley Tracy, American politician, U.S. Vice Consul in Nueva Gerona, 1924
- George M. Tracy (b. 1880), American Democrat politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Derby, 1915-16, 1919-20
- Harold Tracy, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Washington, 1960
- Henry Wells Tracy (1807-1886), American Republican politician, Member of Pennsylvania State House of Representatives, 1861-62; U.S. Representative from Pennsylvania 13th District, 1863-65; U.S. Collector of Customs, 1866
- Howard E. Tracy, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Nebraska, 1972
- J. Sedgwick Tracy (b. 1873), American Republican politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Canaan
- Genealogies of the Tracy-Tanner Families, And Other Genealogies by Mathew J. Tracy.
- An Ormsbee Odyssey: The Ancestry of Reverend Oliver Amos Ormsbee of Palto, Texas Co., Missouri.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of Ireland. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1969. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Heraldic Scroll and Map of Family names and Origins of Ireland. Dublin: Mullins. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fitzgerald, Thomas W. Ireland and Her People A Library of Irish Biography 5 Volumes. Chicago: Fitzgerald. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Tracy Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tracy Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 August 2016 at 22:03.
on orders of $85 or more