100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the Scottish Towns family come from? What is the Scottish Towns family crest and coat of arms? When did the Towns family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Towns family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Towne, Town, Towns, Townes and others.
First found in Linlithgowshire (Gaelic: Lodainn an Iar), former county in south-central Scotland, now the Council Area West Lothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Towns research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1339, 1423, 1531, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Towns History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Towns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Towns Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Towns, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Towns Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Towns, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- M Towns, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Alexander Towns, aged 25, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1892
- Wm. F.M. Towns, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Towns Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Walter F. Towns, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1900
- Charles Towns, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1905
- James Towns, aged 50, who landed in America from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Jane S Towns, aged 60, who settled in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1907
- Sarah Ann Towns, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Morris Towns (b. 1954), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Lester Towns (b. 1977), former American NFL football linebacker
- George Washington Bonaparte Towns (1801-1854), American lawyer, legislator, and politician, 39th Governor of Georgia from 1847 to 1851
- Forrest Grady "Spec" Towns (1914-1991), American gold medalist track and field athlete at the 1936 Olympic Games
- Edolphus Towns (b. 1934), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York
- Darryl Towns (b. 1961), American politician, member of New York State Legislature
- Charles B. Towns (1862-1947), American expert on alcoholism and drug addiction who helped draft drug control legislation
- William "Bill" Towns (1936-1993), British car designer
- Tom Towns (b. 1953), former Canadian Football League linebacker from Rosetown, Saskatchewan
- Simon Towns (b. 1972), New Zealand silver medalist field hockey player at the 2002 Commonwealth Games
- Scots Kith and Kin And Illustrated Map Revised 2nd Edition. Edinburgh: Clan House/Albyn. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Urquhart, Blair Edition. Tartans The New Compact Study Guide and Identifier. Secauccus, NJ: Chartwell Books, 1994. Print. (ISBN 0-7858-0050-6).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Warner, Philip Warner. Famous Scottish Battles. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1996. Print. (ISBN 0-76070-004-4).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
The Towns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Towns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 24 April 2014 at 23:17.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!