100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Towne, Town, Towns, Townes and others.
First found in Linlithgowshire (Gaelic: Lodainn an Iar), former county in south-central Scotland, now the Council Area West Lothian, where they held a family seat from very ancient times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Towns research. Another 169 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1339, 1423, 1531, and 1600 are included under the topic Early Towns History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Towns Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Towns Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Towns, who landed in Virginia in 1719
Towns Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Towns, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- M Towns, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Alexander Towns, aged 25, who landed in America from Aberdeen, in 1892
- Wm. F.M. Towns, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Towns Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Walter F. Towns, aged 48, who settled in America, in 1900
- Charles Towns, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Glasgow, in 1905
- James Towns, aged 50, who landed in America from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Jane S Towns, aged 60, who settled in America from Dundee, Scotland, in 1907
- Sarah Ann Towns, aged 52, who emigrated to the United States from Levenshuline, England, in 1907
- Morris Towns (b. 1954), former American NFL football offensive tackle
- Lester Towns (b. 1977), former American NFL football linebacker
- George Washington Bonaparte Towns (1801-1854), American lawyer, legislator, and politician, 39th Governor of Georgia from 1847 to 1851
- Forrest Grady "Spec" Towns (1914-1991), American gold medalist track and field athlete at the 1936 Olympic Games
- Edolphus Towns (b. 1934), American politician, member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York
- Darryl Towns (b. 1961), American politician, member of New York State Legislature
- Charles B. Towns (1862-1947), American expert on alcoholism and drug addiction who helped draft drug control legislation
- William "Bill" Towns (1936-1993), British car designer
- Tom Towns (b. 1953), former Canadian Football League linebacker from Rosetown, Saskatchewan
- Simon Towns (b. 1972), New Zealand silver medalist field hockey player at the 2002 Commonwealth Games
- Browne, James. The History of Scotland it's Highlands, Regiments and Clans 8 Volumes. Edinburgh: Francis A Niccolls & Co, 1909. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Black, George F. The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3).
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry Including American Families with British Ancestry 2 Volumes. London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Moncrieffe, Sir Ian of That Ilk and David Hicks. The Highland Clans The Dynastic Origins, Cheifs and Background of the Clans. New York: C.N. Potter, 1968. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Towns Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Towns Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 15 February 2016 at 02:48.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!