Tingley History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Tingley family
The surname Tingley was first found in the West Riding of Yorkshire at Tinsley, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Rotherham, S. division of the wapentake of Strafforth and Tickhill. 
The place name dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was first listed as Tineslauue  and literally meant "mound of a man called Tynni, " from the Old English personal name + "hlaw." 
However, the earliest record of the name was not found in Yorkshire but in Surrey where Adam de Tindesle was listed in the Pipe Rolls in 1207. Richard de Tyntesle was listed in Sussex in 1327.  The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1372 lists Lecia de Tyneslawe. 
Early History of the Tingley family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tingley research. Another 101 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1648 and 1675 are included under the topic Early Tingley History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tingley Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tinsley, Tinslie, Tinslay, Townsley, Tinsleigh, Tinsly, Townsleigh, Townslie, Townslay, Tounslie, Tounsleigh, Tounsly, Tounsley, Taunslie, Taunsley, Taunsleigh, Taunsly and many more.
Early Notables of the Tingley family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tingley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tingley family to Ireland
Some of the Tingley family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tingley migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tingley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Palmer Tingley, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1635 
- Samuel Tingley, who arrived in New England in 1666 
Tingley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- George B Tingley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Manorah Tingley, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- Mary Tingley, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851 
- J Tingley, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1856 
Contemporary Notables of the name Tingley (post 1700) +
- Leeann Nicole Tingley (b. 1981), American beauty queen and model, Miss Rhode Island USA 2006
- Ronald Irvin Tingley (b. 1959), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 1982 to 1995
- Clyde K. Tingley (1882-1960), American politician, 11th Governor of the State of New Mexico (1935-1939)
- Katherine Augusta Westcott Tingley (1847-1929), American social worker and prominent Theosophist
- Percival W. Tingley, American Republican politician, Postmaster at Nitro, West Virginia, 1929 (acting, 1929)
- George Brown Tingley (1814-1862), American politician, Member of California State Assembly from Sacramento District, 1849-50
- Gary Tingley, American Republican politician, Chair of Clark County Republican Party, 2002
- Egbert F. Tingley, American Democrat politician, Postmaster at Hyattsville, Maryland, 1936-71 (acting, 1936-39)
- E. P. Tingley, American politician, Representative from Ohio 2nd District, 1900
- Clyde Tingley (1883-1960), American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New Mexico, 1928, 1936, 1948; Governor of New Mexico, 1935-39
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
Suggested Readings for the name Tingley +
- 3463 "The Tingley Family Revised" by Marian McCauley Frye.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)