Tilney History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Tilney family
The surname Tilney was first found in Southampton at Rotherwick. "Tylney Hall, here, the ancient seat of the Tylney family, has been taken down some years, but the park is still preserved." 
Early History of the Tilney family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilney research. Another 158 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600, 1103, 1177, 1449, 1552, 1560, 1820, 1501, 1455, 1487, 1430, 1536, 1610, 1541, 1477, 1545, 1629, 1725, 1708, 1700, 1730, 1680, 1750 and 1729 are included under the topic Early Tilney History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tilney Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilney, Tillney, Tilnie, Tilnee, Tylney, Tynlie and many more.
Early Notables of the Tilney family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include John Tilney ( fl. 1430), Carmelite friar, who "seems to have had some connection with the Grey Friars of Colchester. " 
Sir Edmund Tilney (or Tylney) (c.1536-1610) was a courtier best known now as Master of the Revels to Elizabeth I and James I. He was the only son of Philip Tilney (d.1541), Usher of the Privy Chamber to King Henry VIII.
Agnes Howard [née Tilney] (c.1477-1545) was the second wife of Thomas Howard, 2nd Duke of Norfolk and the stepmother of the parents of Anne Boleyn, second wife and...
Another 95 words (7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tilney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tilney migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilney Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Tilney, who arrived in Virginia in 1666 
Contemporary Notables of the name Tilney (post 1700) +
- William S. Tilney, American politician, Mayor of El Paso, Texas, 1991-93 
- Robert W. Tilney, American Republican politician, Candidate for Ohio State House of Representatives from Hamilton County, 1897 
- Colin Tilney (b. 1933), English harpsichordist, fortepianist and teacher
- Sir John Dudley Robert Tarleton Tilney (1907-1994), English great grandson of the founder of RJ Tilney & Co
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 19) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html