The Therrien name comes from that Medieval landscape of northwestern France known as Brittany
. The name Therrien was originally derived from the family having lived in Brittany.
Early Origins of the Therrien family
The surname Therrien was first found in Brittany
where this distinguished family held a family seat
in the honor of the seigneurie of Ragotiere.
Early History of the Therrien family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Therrien research.Another 148 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1448 and 1577 are included under the topic Early Therrien History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Therrien Spelling Variations
French surnames were subject to numerous alterations in spelling because of the various cultural groups that inhabited specific regions. Eventually, each region possessed its own local
dialect of the French language. The early development of the French language, however, was also influenced by other languages. For example, Old French was infused with Germanic words and sounds when barbarian tribes invaded and settled in France after the fall of the Roman Empire
. Middle French also borrowed heavily from the Italian language during the Renaissance
. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Therrien is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations
of the name include Terrien, Terrion, Terrian, Thirion, Therien, Therrien, de Terrien and many more.
Early Notables of the Therrien family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Therrien Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Therrien family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Therrien Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Pierre Therrien came from Angoumois on the west coast of France and settled in Quebec in 1656
- Jacques Therrien from Normandy settled in Quebec in 1667
Contemporary Notables of the name Therrien (post 1700)
- Valerie Therrien, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Alaska, 1996, 2004 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 22) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- Andre Therrien (b. 1975), Canadian professional football player
- Michel Therrien (b. 1963), Canadian NHL hockey scout and former head coach, nominee for the Jack Adams Award
- Jean-François Therrien (b. 1969), Canadian politician from Quebec
- Gaston Therrien (b. 1960), retired Canadian professional ice hockey player