Testerman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Testerman family
The surname Testerman was first found in Oxfordshire where the name is more often than not, thought to have been derived from an early French baptismal name Testard which is found in the Pipe Rolls of 1131. 
Not all of the family emigrated to England as William Testard was listed in Normandy (1180-1195). 
By the time of the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273, the name was somewhat scattered: Henry Testard, Huntingdonshire; Robert Testard, Suffolk and Ralph Testard, Yorkshire. 
Later the Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 listed Willelmus Testard and Johannes Testard.
As if to attest the French influence, one noted author states: "A family of this name in Ballater, Aberdeenshire, are said to be descended from a Frenchman who was 'taster' to Mary, Queen of Scots, whom he accompanied from France. If this is correct the name may be from Ancient French tester, testar, assayer. More likely, however, the name is same as Testard. " 
Early History of the Testerman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Testerman research. Another 104 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1135, 1172, 1230, 1273, 1379, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Testerman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Testerman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Testerd, Testart, Testar, Tester, Testard and others.
Early Notables of the Testerman family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Testerman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Testerman family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Peter Tetard, who came to New York city in 1762; John Testart, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1795; as well as Ernest Testard, who arrived in New York city in 1831..
Contemporary Notables of the name Testerman (post 1700) +
- Donald Ray Testerman (b. 1952), former professional American NFL football player
- Ben Testerman (b. 1962), American former professional tennis player
- Kyle C. Testerman (1935-2015), American politician, Mayor of Knoxville, Tennessee (1972-1975) and (1984-1987)
Related Stories +
- ^ Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)