Tarkington History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Tarkington family
The surname Tarkington was first found in Cheshire at Torkington, a township, in the parish and union of Stockport, hundred of Macclesfield.  Now part of Greater Manchester, the township comprises 670 acres.
Early East Cheshire rolls had the following early entries for the family: Simon de Torkinton, 1225; Robert de Torkinton, 1225; and Thomas de Torkinton, 1357. 
Early History of the Tarkington family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tarkington research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 1517, 1511, 1517, 1517, 1883 and are included under the topic Early Tarkington History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tarkington Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Torkington, Turkington and others.
Early Notables of the Tarkington family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir Richard Torkington ( fl. 1517), an English priest and pilgrim, presented in 1511 to the rectory of Mulberton in Norfolk by Sir Thomas Boleyn. "In 1517 he went on pilgrimage to the Holy Land, and of his journey he has left an account. "He started from Rye in...
Another 56 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tarkington Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Tarkington is the 15,037th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Tarkington family to Ireland
Some of the Tarkington family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 58 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tarkington migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tarkington Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Tarkington, who settled in Baltimore County, Maryland with his wife Prudence, their son John Jr. with his wife Martha, and their son William Joshua about 1668; they were granted 250 acres in Baltimore County
Contemporary Notables of the name Tarkington (post 1700) +
- Newton Booth Tarkington (1869-1946), American novelist and dramatist best known for his Pulitzer Prize-winning novels
- William Clayborne Tarkington (1816-1895), American politician, Member of Indiana State Senate, 1855-62 
- John Stevenson Tarkington (1832-1923), American Republican politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1863; Circuit Judge in Indiana, 1870-72 
- Rockne Booth Tarkington (b. 1931), American stage, film and television actor, known for his roles in Black Samson (1974), Wyatt Earp (1994) and The Ice Pirates (1984)
- Joseph Arthur Tarkington, American founder and builder of the Tarkington automobile in 1920; he built 6 vehicles but was unable to get funding for mass production
- John Tarkington Jameson (1889-1963), American politician, Member of Indiana State House of Representatives, 1921-22
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 27) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html