Stirzaker is a name of ancient Anglo-Saxon
origin and comes from a family once having lived in the settlement of Stirzacre in the county of Lancashire
. The surname Stirzaker belongs to the large category of Anglo-Saxon habitation
names, which are derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads.
Early Origins of the Stirzaker family
The surname Stirzaker was first found in Lancashire
where they held a family seat
as Lords of the manor of Stirzaker originally Steresaker, in the parish of Garstang, some say before the Norman Conquest
in 1066. The origin of the name is to describe estates which were steers-acre, and under this spelling the name was recorded in the 13th century.
Early History of the Stirzaker family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stirzaker research.Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1379, 1620, 1622, and 1738 are included under the topic Early Stirzaker History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stirzaker Spelling Variations
The English language only became standardized in the last few centuries; therefore, spelling variations
are common among early Anglo-Saxon
names. As the form of the English language changed, even the spelling of literate people's names evolved. Stirzaker has been recorded under many different variations, including Stirzaker, Stirzacker, Stirsaker, Stirsacker, Sterzaker, Stersaker, Steresaker, Steresake, Stazicker, Staziker, Sturzaker and many more.
Early Notables of the Stirzaker family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stirzaker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stirzaker family to the New World and Oceana
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that shrouded England
made the far away New World an attractive prospect. On cramped disease-ridden ships, thousands migrated to those British colonies that would eventually become Canada and the United States. Those hardy settlers that survived the journey often went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Analysis of immigration records indicates that some of the first North American immigrants bore the name Stirzaker or a variant listed above:
Stirzaker Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Elizabeth Stirzaker, aged 33, who settled in America from Preston, England, in 1908
- Leopold Stirzaker, aged 22, who emigrated to America from Preston, England, in 1910
- Joseph Stirzaker, aged 24, who landed in America from Cromford, England, in 1911
- Eliza Stirzaker, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from Preston, England, in 1915
- Harold Stirzaker, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Stirzaker (post 1700)
- Nic Stirzaker (b. 1991), English-born, Australian rugby union footballer who plays for Melbourne Rising (2014-)
- Henry "Harry" Stirzaker (b. 1869), English professional footballer for Blackpool (1894-1903)
- Dr. Richard Stirzaker, 2007 Land & Water Australia Research Fellow
- Jon Stirzaker, Australian Head of the Geospatial Applications & Visualisation unit in Australia
- Dr. David Stirzaker, Tutorial Fellow in Mathematics at St. John's College Oxford
Stirzaker Family Crest Products