100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Where did the English Stinson family come from? What is the English Stinson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stinson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stinson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stinson research. Another 249 words(18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stinson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stinson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stinson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words(19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stinson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Mary Stinson, who landed in Virginia in 1662
Stinson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- William Stinson, who landed in New England in 1751
- Ellaner Stinson, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
- Ellen Stinson, who arrived in South Carolina in 1772
- James Stinson, who landed in South Carolina in 1772
Stinson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Stinson, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1828
- David, Hugh, James, John, Robert, Thomas and William Stinson, who all arrived in Pennsylvania from 1844 to 1857
- David Stinson, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1844
- B Stinson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- M Stinson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Stinson Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Sarah Stinson, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1750
- Susanah Stinson, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1750
Stinson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Charles Stinson, aged 21, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1855 aboard the ship "Warren Hastings"
Stinson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Stinson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Mary A. Stinson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Edward Stinson arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alma" in 1857
- Thomas Eugene "Tommy" Stinson (b. 1966), American bassist, currently a member of Guns N' Roses
- Katherine Stinson (1891-1977), fourth woman in the United States to obtain a pilot's certificate, inspiration of the Stinson Aircraft Company
- Harry Edward Stinson (1898-1975), American sculptor
- Robert Neil "Bob" Stinson (1959-1995), founding member and lead guitarist for the American rock band The Replacements
- Brigadier Cecil Ambrose Stinson (1893-1991), Australian Deputy Director of Ordnance Services Army Headquarters from 1944 to 1945
- Lloyd Stinson (1904-1976), Canadian politician in Manitoba, Leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation
- Kathy Stinson, Canadian children's writer
- Douglas Robert Stinson (b. 1956), Canadian mathematician and cryptographer
- Darrel Stinson (b. 1945), Canadian retired politician in British Columbia, Canada
- A History of the Stinson Family: in Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Hampshire and Illinois by William S. Stinson.
- Our Stinson's (sic) by Ulery Stinson.
- The Stinson Family by Leroy David Lillie.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stinson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stinson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 February 2015 at 19:04.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!