100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Stimson was first found in Northumberland
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stimson research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stimson History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stimson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Stimson family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stimson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Stimson, who landed in New England in 1645
Stimson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Stimson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Stimson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Augustus Stimson, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Macedon"
- William Stimson, aged 51, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- James Stimson, aged 14, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Robert Stimson, aged 12, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Martha Stimson, aged 16, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Hugh McBirney Stimson (1931-2011), American sinologist and linguist
- Carl Remus Stimson (1894-1936), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Charles Douglas "Cully" Stimson (b. 1963), former American career appointee at the Pentagon
- Lewis Atterbury Stimson (1844-1917), American surgeon
- Henry Lewis Stimson (1867-1950), American statesman, lawyer and Republican Party politician
- T. D. Stimson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1876
- Earl Stimson, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Saratoga County, 1817-18
- E. J. Stimson, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 4th District, 1873
- Donald K. Stimson, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 1st District, 1956
- Daniel Stimson, American Republican politician, Mayor of Corning, New York, 1936-44, 1956
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stimson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stimson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 09:42.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!