100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Scottish
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stevenson, Stephenson, Stephinson, Stevenston, Steenson, Stenson, Steinson and many more.
First found in Northumberland where they held a family seat from very ancient times, some say before the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stimson research. Another 249 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1150, 1296, 1455, 1764, 1850, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Stimson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stimson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Stimson family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 263 words (19 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stimson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Stimson, who landed in New England in 1645
Stimson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J Stimson, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Stimson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Augustus Stimson, aged 43, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Macedon"
- William Stimson, aged 51, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- James Stimson, aged 14, a labourer, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Robert Stimson, aged 12, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Martha Stimson, aged 16, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1860 aboard the ship "Grand Trianon"
- Hugh McBirney Stimson (1931-2011), American sinologist and linguist
- Carl Remus Stimson (1894-1936), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- Charles Douglas "Cully" Stimson (b. 1963), former American career appointee at the Pentagon
- Lewis Atterbury Stimson (1844-1917), American surgeon
- Henry Lewis Stimson (1867-1950), American statesman, lawyer and Republican Party politician
- T. D. Stimson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1876
- Earl Stimson, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Saratoga County, 1817-18
- E. J. Stimson, American politician, Member of Minnesota State House of Representatives 4th District, 1873
- Donald K. Stimson, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Indiana 1st District, 1956
- Daniel Stimson, American Republican politician, Mayor of Corning, New York, 1936-44, 1956
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
The Stimson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stimson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 17 November 2015 at 09:42.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!