on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Stiltner family come from? What is the English Stiltner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stiltner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stiltner family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stille, Still, Stills, Stillie, Stylle and others.
First found in Wiltshire where Stille was a tenant listed there prior to the Conquest.  The Domesday Book in 1086 A.D. lists Aluuinus Stilla in Hampshire.  Lefwinus Stille was listed in the Pipe Rolls of 1166 is Sussex and Richard le Stille was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Worcestershire in 1275.  Years later, the Subsidy Rolls of 1332 list John atte Stille in Worcestershire.  The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Walter Stille in Oxfordshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stiltner research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1451, 1511, 1591, 1543, 1608, 1593, 1608, 1577 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Stiltner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stiltner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stiltner Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Iris Stiltner, aged 0, who landed in America, in 1919
- Isabella Stiltner, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1919
- Ira Stiltner, American actor, best known for his role in The Big Chill
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
The Stiltner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stiltner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 September 2015 at 14:29.
on orders of $85 or more