on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Stiltner family come from? What is the English Stiltner family crest and coat of arms? When did the Stiltner family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Stiltner family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stille, Still, Stills, Stillie, Stylle and others.
First found in Wiltshire where Stille was a tenant listed there prior to the Conquest.  The Domesday Book in 1086 A.D. lists Aluuinus Stilla in Hampshire.  Lefwinus Stille was listed in the Pipe Rolls of 1166 is Sussex and Richard le Stille was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Worcestershire in 1275.  Years later, the Subsidy Rolls of 1332 list John atte Stille in Worcestershire.  The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 list Walter Stille in Oxfordshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stiltner research. Another 163 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1451, 1511, 1591, 1543, 1608, 1593, 1608, 1577 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Stiltner History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Stiltner Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Stiltner Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Iris Stiltner, aged 0, who landed in America, in 1919
- Isabella Stiltner, aged 24, who settled in America, in 1919
- Ira Stiltner, American actor, best known for his role in The Big Chill
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Stiltner Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Stiltner Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 September 2015 at 14:29.
on orders of $85 or more