Stanfill History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Stanfill was brought to England in the great wave of migration following the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Stanfill family lived in Yorkshire. Checking further we found the name was derived from the Old English "stan," meaning "stony," and "feld," meaning "field."
Early Origins of the Stanfill family
The surname Stanfill was first found in Yorkshire where they held a family seat from very early times where they were Lords of the manor of Stansfield and held that village which contained two churches and scattered moorland houses which were granted by Duke William,of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Stanfill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stanfill research. Another 92 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1508 and 1587 are included under the topic Early Stanfill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stanfill Spelling Variations
Anglo-Norman names are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. When the Normans became the ruling people of England in the 11th century, they introduced a new language into a society where the main languages of Old and later Middle English had no definite spelling rules. These languages were more often spoken than written, so they blended freely with one another. Contributing to this mixing of tongues was the fact that medieval scribes spelled words according to sound, ensuring that a person's name would appear differently in nearly every document in which it was recorded. The name has been spelled Stanfield, Standfield, Stansfield, Stansfeld and others.
Early Notables of the Stanfill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stanfill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Stanfill is the 7,121st most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Stanfill family
For many English families, the political and religious disarray that plagued their homeland made the frontiers of the New World an attractive prospect. Thousands migrated, aboard cramped disease-ridden ships. They arrived sick, poor, and hungry, but were welcomed in many cases with far greater opportunity than at home in England. Many of these hardy settlers went on to make important contributions to the emerging nations in which they landed. Among early immigrants bearing the name Stanfill or a variant listed above were: Fran Stanfield and his wife and four children who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1683.
|Contemporary Notables of the name Stanfill (post 1700) ||+|
- William Thomas "Bill" Stanfill (1947-2016), American AFL and NFL defensive end who played from 1969 to 1976, inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame
- Dennis Carothers Stanfill, American business executive, Rhodes Scholar and philanthropist, CEO of the 20th Century Fox Film Corporation (1971-1981)
- William Abner Stanfill (1892-1971), American politician, member of the United States Senate from Kentucky
- Kristian Paul Stanfill (b. 1983), American Christian rock singer-songwriter
- Louis Stanfill (b. 1985), American rugby union player
- William Thomas Stanfill (b. 1947), American former defensive end for the Miami Dolphins of the American Football League
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm