Stamey History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Stamey family
The surname Stamey was first found in Suffolk, where Stanmar was the first of the family listed there in 1066. 
A few years later, Stanmer was listed at Bury, Suffolk in 1095. Almost 200 years later, the Latin form of the name, Stanmarus, was listed in Norfolk c. 1250. John Stamer was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of Sussex in 1296 and a few years later, Robert le Stamere was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of 1327. The name is through to have been from Stanmore (Middlesex) or Stanmer (Sussex). 
Great Stanmore is a parish, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore, county of Middlesex and is best known as the location of "the first meeting, after the conclusion of the late war, of the Prince Regent and his illustrious guests the Emperor of Russia and the King of Prussia, with Louis XVIII."  Not far away, is Little Stanmore, a parish, in the union of Hendon, hundred of Gore.
Stanmer is a parish, in the union of Newhaven, hundred of Ringmer, rape of Pevensey, ion Sussex. 
Some sources claim the name is from the Old English stamera for stammerer, or from Old English stamerian 'to stammer'. 
Early History of the Stamey family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stamey research. Another 50 words (4 lines of text) covering the years 189 and 1897 are included under the topic Early Stamey History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stamey Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Stammer, Stammers, Stamer, Stamers and others.
Early Notables of the Stamey family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stamey Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stamey family to Ireland
Some of the Stamey family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 98 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stamey family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Ann Stamner who arrived in Virginia in 1650; Mary Stammers arrived in New York in 1823 with eight children; Thomas Stammer settled in Georgia in 1737 with his wife and child..
Contemporary Notables of the name Stamey (post 1700) +
- Chris Stamey (b. 1954), American musician, singer, songwriter and record producer
- Richard Stamey, American Republican politician, Candidate in primary for Montana State House of Representatives 89th District, 2010 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 13) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html