on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Spaulding originated in the place called Spalding, in Lincolnshire
. Spaulding is a local
surname, which belongs to the category of hereditary surnames
. There are a variety of types of local surnames, some of which include: topographic surnames, which could be given to a person who lived beside any physical feature, such as a hill, stream, church or type of tree. Habitation names form the other broad category of surnames that were derived from place-names. They were derived from pre-existing names for towns, villages, parishes, or farmsteads. Other local names are derived from the names of houses, manors, estates, regions, and entire counties. The earliest members of the Spaulding family on record, were found in Lincolnshire
, where they settled on lands granted by William the Conqueror, following the Norman invasion
, in 1066. The Spaulding family rose to prominence in Scotland
The surname Spaulding was first found in Lincolnshire
, where they held a family seat
, and granted lands by William the Conqueror for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066. They were tenants of the Norman Baron
Randolph Mechin, Earl of Chester. They held Spaulding Abbey.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Spaulding, Spalding, Spaldene and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Spaulding research. Another 827 words (59 lines of text) covering the years 1296, 1453, 1453, 1479, 1587, 1594, 1672, 1456, 1458, 1543, 1583, 1388, 1456 and 1650 are included under the topic Early Spaulding History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Another 41 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Spaulding Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Spaulding Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Spaulding, who landed in Braintree, Massachusetts in 1640
- Thomas Spaulding, who landed in Maryland in 1657
Spaulding Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- H S Spaulding, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- L P Spaulding, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- O Spaulding, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- H Spaulding, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- D Spaulding, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
Spaulding Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- A. G. Spaulding, aged 48, who emigrated to the United States, in 1906
- Adele Spaulding, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1906
- C. Spaulding, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1907
- Bessie Spaulding, aged 30, who emigrated to America, in 1909
- Alice Spaulding, who settled in America, in 1912
Spaulding Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Charles Spaulding, who arrived in Nova Scotia in 1760
- Mr. John Spaulding U.E. who settled in Shefford Township, Eastern Townships [La Haute-Yamaska Regional County Municipality], Quebec c. 1784
- Mr. Reuben Spaulding U.E. who settled in St. David, Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784
- Mr. Reuben Spaulding Jr., U.E. who settled in St. David, Charlotte County, New Brunswick c. 1784
Spaulding Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Nelson Spaulding arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "William" in 1853
- Thomas J. Spaulding Jr. (b. 1969), American author and president of Spaulding Companies LLC
- Huntley Nowel Spaulding (1869-1955), American manufacturer and Republican politician, Governor of New Hampshire (1927-1929)
- John Spaulding, American poet from Hanover, New Hampshire
- Josiah Augustus "Si" Spaulding (1922-1983), American businessman, attorney, and politician
- Elbridge Gerry Spaulding (1809-1897), American lawyer, banker, and politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 32nd district (1849 to 1851)
- George B. "Jeb" Spaulding (b. 1952), American politician, former State Treasurer of Vermont
- Henry W. Spaulding, American founder of The Spaulding Manufacturing Company, an automobile manufacturing company in Grinnell, Iowa which produced automobiles named Spaulding from 1901 to 1916
- William H. Spaulding (1880-1966), American football player and coach of football, basketball, and baseball
- Rolland Harty Spaulding (1873-1942), American manufacturer who created Spauldite, a type of resin laminate and Republican politician elected Governor of Hew Hampshire in 1914
- Oliver L. Spaulding (1833-1922), U.S. Representative from Michigan
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. Motto:
Hinc mihi salusMotto Translation:
Hence comes salvation to me.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Scarlett, James D. Tartan The Highland Textile. London: Shepheard-Walwyn, 1990. Print. (ISBN 0-85683-120-4).
- Leyburn, James Graham. The Scotch-Irish A Social History. Chapel Hill: UNC Press, 1962. Print. (ISBN 0807842591).
- Catholic Directory For Scotland. Glasgow: Burns Publications. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Bloxham, Ben. Key to Parochial Registers of Scotland From Earliest Times Through 1854 2nd edition. Provo, UT: Stevenson's Genealogical Center, 1979. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Skene, William Forbes Edition. Chronicles of the Picts, Chronicles of the Scots and Other Early Memorials of Scottish History. Edinburgh: H.M. General Register House, 1867. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Spaulding Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Spaulding Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 June 2016 at 14:17.
on orders of $85 or more