100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Southworth, Southwood, Sowarth, Southwerth and others.
First found in Lancashire, principally in the area of Samlesbury Hall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Southworth.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Southworth research. Another 282 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1592 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Southworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Southworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Southworth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Southworth Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Southworth, who arrived in America in 1620
- Edward and Alice Southworth and her son Edward, and Constance, who settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1621
- Alice Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Alice Carpenter Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1623
- Thomas Southworth, who arrived in Plymouth, Massachusetts in 1628
Southworth Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- E Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- F H Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- B Southworth, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- A Southworth, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- S. C. H. Southworth arrived in San Francisco in 1852
Southworth Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Southworth, aged 32, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bebington" in 1872
- George Clark Southworth (1890-1972), American radio engineer discoverer of waveguides
- Bobby Southworth (b. 1969), American mixed martial arts fighter
- Daniel Southworth (b. 1974), American Actor
- Billy Southworth (1893-1969), American Major League Baseball player and manager
- Emma Dorothy Eliza Nevitte Southworth (1819-1899), American writer
- Irene L. Southworth, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1936
- Gilbert G. Southworth, American Republican politician, Member of Massachusetts State House of Representatives Eighth Bristol District, 1917-18
- James H. Southworth, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from New York County 13th District, 1891-94
- John P. Southworth, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Alabama, 1869
- La Roy Southworth, American politician, Member of Vermont State House of Representatives from Middletown Springs, 1888
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
The Southworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Southworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 October 2015 at 11:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!