100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Southard family come from? What is the English Southard family crest and coat of arms? When did the Southard family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Southard family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Southworth, Southwood, Sowarth, Southwerth and others.
First found in Lancashire, principally in the area of Samlesbury Hall where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Southworth.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Southard research. Another 282 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1592 and 1654 are included under the topic Early Southard History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Southard Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Southard family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Southard Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Constant Southard, aged 13, arrived in Massachusetts in 1628
- Joseph Southard, who landed in Massachusetts in 1683
Southard Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- O P Southard, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- C. J. Southard, aged 41, who settled in America, in 1894
- George H. Southard, aged 36, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
- Harry E. Southard, aged 5, who landed in America, in 1896
- Clementina Southard, aged 33, who settled in America, in 1896
Southard Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Geo. F. Southard, aged 56, who landed in America, in 1904
- Frank Southard, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1905
- Edith Brett Southard, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Chas. E. Southard, aged 39, who emigrated to the United States, in 1907
- Blanche Southard, aged 28, who landed in America, in 1909
Southard Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Archelaus Southard, who landed in Canada in 1830
- John Southard, who arrived in Canada in 1830
- William Southard, who landed in Canada in 1830
- Richard Southard, who arrived in Canada in 1831
- Henry Southard, who landed in Canada in 1831
Southard Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
Southard Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Frank Southard arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mary Shepherd" in 1870
- Milton Isaiah Southard (1836-1905), U.S. Representative from Ohio
- James Harding Southard (1851-1919), U.S. Representative from Ohio
- Lucien Southard (1827-1881), American conductor
- Isaac Southard (b. 1783), Anti-Jacksonian member of the United States House of Representatives from 1831 to 1833
- Samuel Lewis Southard (1787-1842), prominent American statesman
- Henry Southard (1747-1842), United States Representative from the state of New Jersey
- Mr. Southard (d. 1941), British Able Seaman, who sailed in to battle on the HMS Prince of Wales and died during the sinking
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Southard Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Southard Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 11 December 2014 at 00:40.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!