100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Soper was first found in Devon
where they held a family seat
from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Woodlands, some say well before the Norman Conquest
and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Soper, Souper, Soaper, Super and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Soper research. Another 277 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1698 and 1732 are included under the topic Early Soper History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Soper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Soper Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Greg Soper who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Greg Soper, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Soper arrived in Barbados in 1660
- John Soper, who arrived in Maryland in 1676
Soper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias Soper, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Thomas Soper settled in Cupid from Halifax, Yorkshire, in 1760
Soper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D. Soper arrived in New York in 1822
- Thomas Soper, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- A C Soper, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860
Soper Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jonas Soper was the Captain of Cupid's, Newfoundland in 1824
Soper Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Soper, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- Rebecca Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- William Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1848
- Elizabeth Soper, aged 23, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad"
Soper Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hannah Soper, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Lewman B. Soper, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1960
- Morris Ames Soper (1873-1963), American politician, U.S. District Judge for Maryland, 1923-31; Judge of U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1931-55
- P. L. Soper, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indian Territory, 1900, 1904
- Paul K. Soper, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Chemung County, 1928
- J. Mason Soper (b. 1858), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Eaton County 1st District, 1899-1900
- Hiram J. Soper, American politician, Mayor of Laurel, Maryland, 1958-62
- Henry L. Soper, American politician, Representative from Connecticut 1st District, 1886
- George J. Soper, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 18th District, 1897
- Frank M. Soper, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Delaware, 1908, 1916
- Edmund D. Soper, American politician, Dry Candidate for Delegate to Ohio convention to ratify 21st amendment, 1933
- The New Soper Compendium by Earl F. Soper.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Soper Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Soper Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:51.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!