100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Soper family come from? What is the English Soper family crest and coat of arms? When did the Soper family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Soper family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Soper, Souper, Soaper, Super and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Woodlands, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Soper research. Another 277 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1698 and 1732 are included under the topic Early Soper History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Soper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Soper Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Greg Soper who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Greg Soper, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Soper arrived in Barbados in 1660
- John Soper, who arrived in Maryland in 1676
Soper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias Soper, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Thomas Soper settled in Cupid from Halifax, Yorkshire, in 1760
Soper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D. Soper arrived in New York in 1822
- Thomas Soper, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- A C Soper, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860
Soper Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jonas Soper was the Captain of Cupid's, Newfoundland in 1824
Soper Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Soper, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- Rebecca Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- William Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1848
- Elizabeth Soper, aged 23, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad"
Soper Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hannah Soper, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Tony Soper, English ornithologist, author and television presenter
- Donald Oliver Soper (1903-1998), prominent Methodist minister, socialist and pacifist, became Baron Soper, of Kingsway in the London Borough of Camden and the first Methodist minister to sit in the House of Lords
- Joseph Dewey Soper (1893-1982), Canadian Arctic explorer, zoologist, ornithologist, and prolific author
- Dr. Frederick Soper, New Zealand University Chancellor
- The New Soper Compendium by Earl F. Soper.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Soper Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Soper Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 May 2015 at 23:05.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!