on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Soper family come from? What is the English Soper family crest and coat of arms? When did the Soper family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Soper family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Soper, Souper, Soaper, Super and others.
First found in Devon where they held a family seat from very ancient times, as Lords of the manor of Woodlands, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Soper research. Another 277 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1698 and 1732 are included under the topic Early Soper History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Soper Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Soper Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Greg Soper who arrived in Virginia in 1637
- Greg Soper, who landed in Virginia in 1637
- John Soper arrived in Barbados in 1660
- John Soper, who arrived in Maryland in 1676
Soper Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias Soper, who arrived in Virginia in 1701
- Thomas Soper settled in Cupid from Halifax, Yorkshire, in 1760
Soper Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- D. Soper arrived in New York in 1822
- Thomas Soper, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1847
- A C Soper, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1860
Soper Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Jonas Soper was the Captain of Cupid's, Newfoundland in 1824
Soper Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Edward Soper, English convict from Devon, who was transported aboard the "Argyle" on March 5th, 1831, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Austraila
- John Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- Rebecca Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline" in 1839
- William Soper arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1848
- Elizabeth Soper, aged 23, a housemaid, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Hyderabad"
Soper Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Hannah Soper, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "British Queen" in 1883
- Lewman B. Soper, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Maine, 1960
- Morris Ames Soper (1873-1963), American politician, U.S. District Judge for Maryland, 1923-31; Judge of U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit, 1931-55
- P. L. Soper, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Indian Territory, 1900, 1904
- Paul K. Soper, American Democrat politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from Chemung County, 1928
- J. Mason Soper (b. 1858), American Republican politician, Member of Michigan State House of Representatives from Eaton County 1st District, 1899-1900
- Hiram J. Soper, American politician, Mayor of Laurel, Maryland, 1958-62
- Henry L. Soper, American politician, Representative from Connecticut 1st District, 1886
- George J. Soper, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 18th District, 1897
- Frank M. Soper, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Delaware, 1908, 1916
- Edmund D. Soper, American politician, Dry Candidate for Delegate to Ohio convention to ratify 21st amendment, 1933
- The New Soper Compendium by Earl F. Soper.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
The Soper Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Soper Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 25 November 2015 at 09:51.
on orders of $85 or more