Smothermon History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient name of Smothermon finds its origins with the ancient Anglo-Saxon culture of Britain. It comes from a name for a person who worked as a smith or smitty (blacksmith).   During the Middle Ages smiths were important for their skill in making horseshoes, ploughshares as well as swords, other weapons and armour. Occupational names that were derived from the common trades of the medieval era transcended European cultural and linguistic boundaries.
Early Origins of the Smothermon family
The surname Smothermon was first found in Warwickshire where John Smythiere was listed in the Assize Rolls for 1379. 
Early History of the Smothermon family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Smothermon research. Another 39 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Smothermon History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Smothermon Spelling Variations
Sound was what guided spelling in the essentially pre-literate Middle Ages, so one person's name was often recorded under several variations during a single lifetime. Also, before the advent of the printing press and the first dictionaries, the English language was not standardized. Therefore, spelling variations were common, even among the names of the most literate people. Known variations of the Smothermon family name include Smithers, Smithies, Smythies, Smither and others.
Early Notables of the Smothermon family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Smothermon Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Smothermon family
For political, religious, and economic reasons, thousands of English families boarded ships for Ireland, the Canadas, the America colonies, and many of smaller tropical colonies in the hope of finding better lives abroad. Although the passage on the cramped, dank ships caused many to arrive in the New World diseased and starving, those families that survived the trip often went on to make valuable contributions to those new societies to which they arrived. Early immigrants bearing the Smothermon surname or a spelling variation of the name include : George Smither who settled in Virginia in 1652; Christopher Smithers settled in Maryland in 1704.
Contemporary Notables of the name Smothermon (post 1700) +
- M. C. Smothermon, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Oklahoma 5th District, 1998 
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York: Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Harrison, Henry, Surnames of the United Kingdom: A Concise Etymological Dictionary Baltimore: Geneological Publishing Company, 2013. Print
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 2) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html