on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Slough family come from? What is the English Slough family crest and coat of arms? When did the Slough family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Slough family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Slough, Sloe, Slow and others.
First found in Buckinghamshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times as Lords of the manor, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Slough research. Another 232 words (17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Slough History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Slough Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Slough family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words (8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Slough Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Slough arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Michael Slough arrived in Philadelphia in 1754
- Christian Slough, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1776
- John Potts Slough (1829-1867), American politician, lawyer, Union general during the American Civil War, and Chief Justice of New Mexico
- Robert H. Slough, American politician, Mayor of Mobile, Alabama, 1862-65
- Alan Peter Slough (b. 1947), English former professional football midfielder who played from 1965 to 1982
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
The Slough Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Slough Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 November 2015 at 09:00.
on orders of $85 or more