on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Slough family come from? What is the English Slough family crest and coat of arms? When did the Slough family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Slough family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Slough, Sloe, Slow and others.
First found in Buckinghamshire where they held a family seat from very ancient times as Lords of the manor, some say well before the Norman Conquest and the arrival of Duke William at Hastings in 1066 A.D.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Slough research. Another 232 words(17 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Slough History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Slough Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Slough family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 114 words(8 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Slough Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Slough arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Michael Slough arrived in Philadelphia in 1754
- Christian Slough, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1776
- John Potts Slough (1829-1867), American politician, lawyer, Union general during the American Civil War, and Chief Justice of New Mexico
- Alan Peter Slough (b. 1947), English former professional football midfielder who played from 1965 to 1982
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Slough Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Slough Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 30 October 2014 at 08:59.
on orders of $85 or more