Shapleigh History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Shapleigh family
The surname Shapleigh was first found in Devon where they held a family seat from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
But we must look to Kent for the first record of the family. For it is here that John de Sheppey (d. 1360), Bishop of Rochester, who was educated under the patronage of Haymo Heath, Bishop of Rochester, became a Benedictine monk at that city, 
Early History of the Shapleigh family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shapleigh research. Another 76 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1762, 1414, 1410, 1414, 1427, 1414, 1417, 1419, 1420 and 1427 are included under the topic Early Shapleigh History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shapleigh Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Shapleigh, Shapley and others.
Early Notables of the Shapleigh family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include John Shapleigh (died 1414), of Exeter, Devon, an English politician, Member of the Parliament of England for Exeter in...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Shapleigh Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shapleigh migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shapleigh Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nicholas Shapleigh, who settled in Maine in 1630
- Alexander Shapleigh, who landed in Maine in 1635 
- Nicholas Shapleigh, who landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1645 
- Philip Shapleigh, who arrived in Maryland in 1667 
Contemporary Notables of the name Shapleigh (post 1700) +
- Bertram Shapleigh (1871-1940), American composer
- Eliot Shapleigh (b. 1952), American politician, Member of the Texas Senate (1997-2011)
- Samuel B. Shapleigh, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for Mayor of Boston, Massachusetts, 1890, 1891; Candidate for Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts, 1894; Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts, 1898 
- Eliot Shapleigh, American Democrat politician, Member of Texas State Senate 29th District; Elected 1996; Elected 2000, 2002; Elected 2006 
- A. L. Shapleigh, American Republican politician, Member, Arrangements Committee, Republican National Convention, 1896 ; Delegate to Republican National Convention from Missouri, 1936 (speaker) 
- William Shapleigh Damrell (1809-1860), American politician, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Massachusetts (1855-1859)
- William Shapleigh Damrell (1809-1860), American politician, Representative from Massachusetts 3rd District, 1855-59 
Related Stories +
- ^ Smith, George (ed), Dictionary of National Biography. London: Smith, Elder & Co., 1885-1900. Print
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 29) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 8) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html