Shackelford History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Shackelford surname was a habitational name created from the place named Shackleton in the parish of Halifax, West Yorkshire
. The place name is thought to derive from the Old English word "scacol," which describes a "tongue of land" and "tun," meaning "enclosure," or "settlement."
Early Origins of the Shackelford family
The surname Shackelford was first found in Northumberland
where they held a family seat
from early times and their first records appeared on the early census rolls taken by the early Kings of Britain to determine the rate of taxation of their subjects.
Early History of the Shackelford family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Shackelford research.Another 325 words (23 lines of text) covering the years 1246, 1280, 1302, 1601, and 1602 are included under the topic Early Shackelford History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Shackelford Spelling Variations
Early Notables of the Shackelford family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Shackelford Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shackelford family to Ireland
Some of the Shackelford family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 128 words (9 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Shackelford family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Shackelford Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Stella Shackelford, who settled in America, in 1907
- Alice Shackelford, aged 50, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Mary Shackelford, aged 45, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Elizabeth Shackelford, aged 20, who emigrated to the United States, in 1913
- William E Shackelford, aged 45, who landed in America, in 1917
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Shackelford (post 1700)
- Edmund Meredith Shackelford (1786-1857), American Brigadier General
- James Barnes Shackelford (1886-1969), early American cinematographer from Wichita, Kansas
- John Williams Shackelford (1844-1883), American politician, Democratic Congressman from North Carolina (1881 to 1883)
- Francis Shackelford (1909-1973), United States General Counsel of the Army (1950 to 1952) and Assistant Secretary of the Army (1952 to 1953)
- Lynn Shackelford (b. 1947), retired American professional basketball player
- Lottie H. Shackelford, African-American politician, the first woman elected Mayor of Little Rock, Arkansas in 1987
- Sonny Shackelford (b. 1985), American football wide receiver
- James Murrell Shackelford (1827-1907), American lawyer, judge, and general in the Union Army during the American Civil War
- Theodore Tillman "Ted" Shackelford III (b. 1946), American actor, best known for his role as Gary Ewing on the television series Knots Landing (1979 to 1993)
- Dorothy Shackelford, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Kentucky, 1932 CITATION[CLOSE]
The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html
- ... (Another 16 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Shackelford Family Crest Products
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 18) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html