FREE SHIPPING on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the French Seney family come from? What is the French Seney family crest and coat of arms? When did the Seney family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Seney family history?The French family name Seney dates back to the Middle Ages. It was a Norman name given to a seneschal, a steward or official in the household of a sovereign or great noble, to whom the administration of justice and domestic arrangements were entrusted.
There were a great number of spelling variations in French surnames. One reason for this was the wide variety of cultural influences present in France during the early development of the French language. The many spelling variations of the name include Sénéchal, Le Sénéchal, Sénéschal, Le Sénéschal, Sénécal, Sénégal, Sénécot, Sénécaut, Sénécaux, Seneschal and many more.
First found in Normandy (French: Normandie), the former Duchy of Normandy, where this distinguished family held a family seat at Crèvecoeur in the arrondissement of Lisieux where Hamon Le Sénéchal held a strong castle that still remains in the valley of Auge. He was directly descended from Hamon-Aux-Dents, Lord of Thorigny who was killed in the battle of Val-ès-Dunes in 1045. Hamon, his nephew of the family of Crèvecoeur, was present at the battle of Hastings in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Seney research. Another 105 words(8 lines of text) covering the years 1624 and 1719 are included under the topic Early Seney History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Seney Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
France finally gave land incentives for 2,000 migrants during the 1700s. Early marriage was encouraged in New France, and youths of 18 took fourteen-year-old girls for their wives. The fur trade was developed and attracted migrants, both noble and commoner from France. 15,000 explorers left Montreal in the late 17th and 18th centuries, leaving French names scattered across the continent. The search for the Northwest passage continued. Migration from France to New France or Quebec, as it was now more popularly called, continued until 1759. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the Acadian presence in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island had reached 500. In the treaty of Utrecht, the Acadians were ceded by France to Britain in 1713. In 1755, 10,000 French Acadians refused to take an oath of allegiance to England and were deported. They found refuge in Louisiana. Meanwhile, in Quebec, the French race flourished, founding in Lower Canada, one of the two great solitudes which became Canada. Many of this distinguished family name Seney were prominent in social, cultural, religious and political affairs in France and New France. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Seney were Claude Senecal with his wife Elisabeth and daughter who arrived in Louisiana in 1719; Jean Sénécal (1669), Jean Sénécal (1672), Adrian Sénécal (1680), François Sénéchal (1680), Julien Sénéchal (1754), and Michel Sénécal (1759), all arrived in Quebec from Normandy.
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Macula Sine Macula
Motto Translation: A mark without flaw
The Seney Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Seney Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 October 2010 at 13:58.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.