Seabolt History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The origin of the name Seabolt is under much discussion. One school of thought claims the name is a local name from "Seabourne," and not 'born at sea';  other claims the name is patronymic as in 'the son of Sebern."  And yet another claims the name was actually Norman, descending from William Sabrin, Normandy 1180 (Magni Rotuli Scaccarii Normanniae) 
Two references claim the name is Scandinavian  or Icelandic.  And another claims "the name literally means 'sea-warrior.' " 
Early Origins of the Seabolt family
The surname Seabolt was first found in Huntingdonshire where early Latin forms of the name were found, specifically Sabernus Monachus and Philippus filius Seberni who were listed there 1114-1130. A few years later, Margareta filia Seberni, was found in the Curia Regis Rolls of the Isle of Man in 1207 and John Sebern was found in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk in 1190. Sayer Sabarn was recorded in the Subsidy Rolls for Essex in 1327 and fifty years later, John Sabern was listed there in the Assize Rolls of 1377. 
In Herefordshire, the family name was referenced in the 13th century. Today Seaburn Dene is a northern suburb of Sunderland and Seaburn is a seaside resort and suburb of Sunderland, both located in North East England.
The Hundredorum Rolls include: Alexander Sebern in Huntingdonshire; William Seberne in Oxfordshire; and Geoffrey Sebern in Cambridgeshire. 
Early History of the Seabolt family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Seabolt research. Another 143 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1144, 1510, 1600, 1140, 1159, 1442, 1545, 1455, 1487 and 1554 are included under the topic Early Seabolt History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Seabolt Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Seborn, Seaborn, Seborne, Sebourn, Sebourne, Seabourn and many more.
Early Notables of the Seabolt family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Seabolt Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Seabolt is the 7,456th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Seabolt family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..
Contemporary Notables of the name Seabolt (post 1700) +
- Mike Seabolt, American soccer coach of the Colorado Rapids U-23(2002–2003)
- Don Seabolt (1944-1971), American singer and songwriter best known for singing tenor with the Blue Ridge Quartet (1971 to 1978)
Related Stories +
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X)
- ^ Charnock, Richard, Stephen, Ludus Patronymicus of The Etymology of Curious Surnames. London: Trubner & Co., 60 Paternoster Row, 1868. Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm